10

—

Taehyung let his feet dangle from the bed of his Chevrolet while allowing the mellow wind to seep through his brown locks of hair that seemed to hang above his eyes. He put his hood back up after feeling a little chilly in the cool, night breeze.

His head perks up when he hears intense leaf rustling which was due to evidently more than just the work of wind. He saw the frame of a body come out, and his heart thumped hard in trepidation but, it took down a notch when he realized that it was the woman he had been anticipating for.

Noticing that Taehyung was still in his uniform, Iris suddenly feels guilty that he has not gone home yet. Aside from that, she approaches the car and hops on when Taehyung lifts his chin to the empty space next to him in gesture for her to sit.

"Hey." Taehyung greets first, continuing to innocently swing his legs in anxiousness.

"Hi..." The woman says in reluctance, shoving her fists into the pockets of her fleece hoodie.

"So, how are th-"

Iris cuts him off, "Just get to the point."

Taehyung purses his lips together, "I didn't mean anything I said to them, I promise. Those people— they were my group of friends during high school. I wasn't the best at making friends, so I just stuck with any group that looked comfortable and available. My mistake was choosing them. I was genuine with them during high school, but when we went to college, I saw more of their true colors. However, I couldn't just abandon them after everything they've done for me, so I stuck with them. I didn't have the heart to leave." He explains, head hanging low.

He pauses, "When it comes to relationships or girls, they want to share. It's horrendous. When I had my first girlfriend in college, they expected me to share her. Of course I was against it, but they thought I was joking and didn't care. Since I'm the youngest among them, I was at a disadvantage anyway. My ex-girlfriend basically dated all of us at the same time, and I didn't like it, so I broke up with her. I couldn't believe she wanted to go through it either. She continued to date all of them, though. They were sharing her. Each one of them hooked up with her, and I just felt so angered. I even expressed it to her, yet she showed indifference. I didn't even understand how that relationship even worked, but all I know is that I was outraged." He continues, sighing. "—So, when it comes to girls now, I just pretend I don't know them so they won't try anything with them, which is why I tried to make it seem like I didn't really know you. I'm sorry if I hurt you. Was that why you left crying?" He asks, raising his head to look at Iris now.

The woman's shoulders sink while listening to his explanation of his past. She noticed his sullen gaze from her peripheral vision in which she returns, turning her head as well.

"Yes. I was hurt, but I also was hurt from something else. But back to your story, I think you should just try standing up for yourself. You're not in college anymore, and these friends are only being toxic for you if they keep doing what they're doing. It doesn't matter what they've done for you in the past because it's the present now. I'm sure you've done many things back for them anyway, but you need to learn how to stand up for yourself. You can't just be tossed around by them and calling yourself one of their friends because that is not friendship." Iris states, looking into his eyes, trying to plant her advice into his mind.