Chapter 1

December 10, 2001

Today is the day before my 17th birthday. My family and I celebrated today instead of tomorrow because I have decided to spend that day with my friends. As we walked inside the mall I received a text message

"Happy Birthday Mia! You're getting too old. Joke!"

"Happy Birthday Sis! Love you very much!"

"Happy Birthday! More birthdays to come."

"Happiest Birthday to my bff! I love you not. Just kidding! Have a nice day!"

It was my friends, Nicole, Mari, Sabrina, and Alisa. Idiot, dumb, lunatic but the best kind of friends. They're truly the best! We had been friends for 13 years. We were classmates back then. That's how we all met. Upon reading their messages, I was fluttered. A smile crept on my face. I answered my friends one by one with a thank you and explained to them that my birthday is tomorrow and not today.

"Mia, where do you want to eat?" Mom asked me.

"Anywhere is good." I answered mom without taking my eyes away from the screen of my phone.

"How about spaghetti? Burger? Fries? Or your favorite, hotdogs?" Kyle asked me while his eyes wander on the different restaurants. Kyle is my older brother. He is 20 years old. 3 years age gap.

"I'm good with that."

We reached a restaurant where all the food Kyle said was being served. Kyle orders the foods he suggested. I ordered a chicken spaghetti meal with chocolate ice cream and of course, 2 hotdogs.

Both mom and dad order a chicken meal.

We ate peacefully as usual. Not much noise can be heard. Then, Kyle broke the quiet ambiance.

"Mia, you're 17 now a----"

"16. I'm still 16. I'll be turning 17 tomorrow." I giggled and Kyle sighed.

"So Mia, you're turning 17 by tomorrow and I can't think of a gift.  So when I saw you staring at one of those wallets at the store earlier, I bought one for you." Kyle said. His last sentence hit me much. He bullied me always, plays tricks on me, gets my special stuff and keeps them until I get pissed. But now, I felt like his different. Or maybe I'm not just used to seeing him being nice to me.

"Here. Happy birthday, sis!" He said while handing me a paper bag.

I opened it. I saw the light blue and light pink colored wallet. It is the wallet that I wanted! I admired its design. It's the best gift ever!

"Thank you so much, Kyle!" I told him as I hugged him tightly

"You have to pay me. That's pricy!" He said in a serious voice

"That's unfair! It's a gift! Why do I need to pay?" I complained. But I have to admit, the wallets is expensive.

"Just kidding of course." He smirked

Our parents just giggled there. I can see in their eyes that they see us children again. Playful children who are playing with each other inside a restaurant wherein many people can see their stupidity.

After hugging my brother, I sat down and admired my beautiful wallet. The wallet became special for me.

December 11, 2001
4:00pm

       Mialina was in her room grooming herself. She was getting ready to go out with her friends since it's her 17th birthday. She already spent her birthday with her family yesterday. She believed that she's old enough to be alone and independent.

"Mia? Are you done? Your friends are here already!" mom shouted

"Coming!" I answered mom as I quickly grab my bag and leave my room

      I hurriedly went down the stairs with excitement. I nearly tripped but I didn't mind it. Once I reached down I kissed my mom and dad goodbye.

"Hey girls! Ready?" Mia asked her friends

"Of course! Let's get going now." Alisa answered her

"But before that, we wanted to give you something." Nicole said while smiling

Mari handed me a small box.

"Happy birthday!" Sabrina shouted.

We all looked at Sabrina and told her to quiet down.

I open the box and found a keychain with my name on it. Mia. How wonderful!

"Thank you so much, guys! You're all the best." I told them with a wide smile on my face.

"Let's get going then." Mari said.

While waiting for our ride, I put the keychain that they give to the wallet that my brother gave me. There, perfect! Two precious things in one. That's how I thought of it.

After a few moments later, our ride has arrived.