Chapter 13

Chapter 13~ finding out

(Play the song Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls during Kendra's POV. The tempo goes along perf with her feelings in my opinion :) )

Kendra's POV

I really can't believe it... why would he not want to be friends anymore?

Maybe I should call him.

I dial his number and wait for him to answer.

Tanner: Please get rid of my number and never call or text me again.

Me: What did I do?

Tanner: Please, Kendra. I just can't be friends with you anymore.

Me: I don't get it. What do you mean you can't be friends with me anymore?

I feel someone's stare on me and I turn around to see Luke. I turn back around, get on my crutches and walk out the door. I need to get away from everyone. Even him.

I go out the door and it closes loudly.

I get on the elevator and hit the lobby button.

I want to go home.

Me: Will you just tell me? Please?

Tanner: Is everything ok there? Where are you?

Me: I was at a hotel with my boyfriend, brother, and friends. But now I'm going home.

The elevator doors open and I step off and go outside to get a cab.

Once I get into the cab, I tell the man my address and he heads towards my house.

Tanner: Oh. Boyfriend?

Me: Yes.

Tanner: Who is he?

Me: Why do you care? Last time I checked, you didn't want to be friends anymore.

Tanner: If I tell you why then you would freak out...

Me: ...

Tanner: hello?

Me: Just tell me.

Tanner: ok. When I met you, on the bus when you were in 6th grade and I was in 7th, I started liking you. At the time you had a boyfriend so the best I got was to be your friend. When I found out how you broke up, I was extremely pissed. You didn't give me his number so I couldn't cuss him out. Then, when you told me about how you cried yourself to sleep because you were getting bullied, I realized I really, really liked you. I wanted to do anything that I could to put a smile on your beautiful face. I went through the years being your best friend. I hid my feelings just to not ruin our friendship. I'm sorry... I love you...

I'm speechless.

Me: Are- are you serious?

Tanner: yes. I'm sorry. That's why I can't be friends with you anymore. I wanted to tell you in person but you aren't home...

Me: how would you know that?

Tanner: You said you were at a hotel. Where are you now?

Me: on my way home... Pulling up to my house now...

"Oh... my... god..."I mutter and end the call on my phone.

I pay the cab driver and get out as quickly as I can.

Tanner is standing on my front door step.