Chapter 1 | Reunion

I shifted into my wolf running to the woods that surrounded my old territory. I was a small grey wolf.

I am unfortunately the smallest, and weakest wolf in the pack.

I came to a stop nearing the center of the woods. I shifted back and tried to catch my breath.

Over the sound of my panting, I heard a snap. I immediately sucked in my breath to keep any unnecessary noises hidden.

I stared in the direction the twig snapped. I am the weakest wolf, but that doesn't mean I don't have good hearing. In fact, I have the 2nd best hearing - behind the alpha of course.

Two tall, slim figures stalked from the shadows towards me. I could tell they weren't loners, but I couldn't distinguish their pack yet.

I don't have a good nose. They neared me, grinning like maniacs. "Well, well, what do we have here?" The guy with the nose ring said, his voice super creepy.

"Alpha's going to like this one." The guy with the beanie said, looking me up and down.

Beanie and nose ring shared a look before lunging for me. I tried to scream, but the impact from getting pushed back knocked the air out of my lungs.

Beanie grabbed my jaw, "I'll see you later," My head was than whacked on the ground, rendering me unconscious.

___________

|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

I woke up in some sort of cell. I was also chained up so any plan of escape is not going to happen.

Footsteps echoed through the halls and I growled. He better get me out of here. And I mean NOW.

Two guards appeared hiding another body behind theirs. I suddenly felt better. I don't know why. Someone's presence.

I could tell my eyes changed color.

Mate.

How could I be feeling this? I don't have any alpha or beta blood in me.

I struggled against the chains trying to get at least a glimpse at my mate. The two burly guards broke apart revealing a person I was utterly shocked to see.

His eyes were staring into mine, and mine to his. His eyes were golden and I knew he felt I was his mate too.

I was still so confused. "Alpha Devin? Why am I chained up in your territory?"

His eyes went back to his regular green as he started to speak, "I, first need to know why you're on my territory." He didn't speak roughly, or rude, but it wasn't soft or comforting.

I looked down at the prison floor. I was to embarrassed to say anything. "Well?" His impatience was a flaw all alphas have so I wasn't really intimidated.

I sighed. "Our pack was attacked by some humans. They killed out our whole pack with silver bullets. I was upstairs and made it out of our territory before they even knew I had gone. I just needed a quick stop in the woods to catch my breath. I am truly sorry Alpha Devin. If you let me go, I'll leave and won't cause any trouble."

I looked at him hopefully. He was thinking about his choices. "Ah fudge it." I heard him mumble.

He turned to me and smiled. "How would you like to join our pack? You can stay in our pack house."

My jaw dropped.

Nobody ever gets invited into a pack. Wolves have to prove they're worthy not just get an invitation.

I sat there thinking it through.

If I'm a weak wolf, it will be hard to prove I'm worth it to another alpha. I know I couldn't venture far because Devin's my mate. Wait, you can't say that! What are you thinking Faith? For all you know, Devin's going to reject you! Maybe venturing out might be better. But if Devin really is my mate, I'll die from being apart from him. I'd rather stay alive.

"Okay. I'll join. Thank you so much for your offer Alpha." I bowed my head in submission.

The sound of the cell door creaking open caused me to lift my head. Devin was coming to unlock my chains himself. Why? Oh wait, I'm his mate, he doesn't want somebody else touching me.

No! Stop it! Faith, get it together! He doesn't like you! He's going to reject you. Don't get to close, in case you need to make a run for it.

The key fit perfectly and the satisfying click of the chains grabbed my attention. I looked down at my wrists and gasped. I had a rash and blisters covering covering where the metal had been. Devin must have noticed too because he growled and picked up my wrist. I winced and yelped in pain.

He turned back to the guards, "Why didn't you put cloth around her wrists? We only use the pure silver chains when it's a loner wolf we can't trust. You can smell Faith pack on her."

"Don't worry, I'll be fine." I than got up and gave him my best reassuring smile. He looked at me unsuredly but walked out of the door. Obviously expecting me to follow. And I did.