Chapter 35- Leo

Leo watched Thomas run from the deck and he shook his head, "He's mental that one."

"Yeah." Roy nodded in agreement.

"I think he's right." Mica said quietly.

"What!?" Roy turned on Mica.

Mica took a step back, "What?"

"Why do you agree with him?" Roy asked.

"Well, I just think that as citizens, we have a right to try and stop the war. We can't let everything be down to soldiers, we should stand up for ourselves, fight for our families, and end the war." Mica looked down at the deck, "We've been fighting so long, we don't even remember what we're fighting over."

Leo found himself nodding, "If you look at it that way, I suppose Thomas has a point."

Roy sniffed, "I suppose we owe him an apology then."

"Yeah, come on." Leo led Roy and Mica back down to their room and found Thomas curled up on the sofa, fingering the dog tag he always wore around his neck.

"Hey." Mica said softly.

Thomas didn't look up as he replied, "Hey."

"We're sorry." Leo said, "We didn't mean that it wasn't possible for us to help stop the war, just that it might be," Leo paused, trying to think of a word, "improbable."

Thomas turned his head at that, "I know it's improbable, but that doesn't mean we can't try."

Leo sat down on the bed, "So, how do you suggest we get a meeting with our Prime Minster, he's a busy man."

It was meant to be a joke, but Thomas took it seriously, "Well we obviously can't just walk up to him, but if we could attract his attention with protests and raise up the citizens then we might be able to get him into the open."

Leo shrugged, "No offense Thomas, but I don't think we're going to be able to get enough people to go against the government, everyone's too scared."

"But we can try." Mica said, a smile growing on his face.

Thomas smiled too and Leo leaned back on the bed and let his head hit the pillow. "I'm going to sleep. It's been too long since I've had a proper bed. Prison does not suit me."

"Nor me." Mica agreed.

Leo smiled to himself as he shut his eyes and let the rocking of the boat on the waves lull him to sleep.

****

Leo woke to the sound of a bell ringing. He sat up and rubbed his eyes, barely aware of Mica and Roy sitting up around him as well. "What's going on?" Mica yawned.

"Dunno." Roy replied as he scratched his head and pulled the covers off his body.

"Should we go find out?" Leo asked.

"Why not." Roy replied.

Leo joined Roy out of bed and shook Thomas's shoulder, "You awake?"

"I am now." Thomas groaned.

"Didn't you hear the bell?" Roy asked.

"What bell?" Thomas yawned, "It's probably for breakfast."

"That makes sense." Mica laughed, "We thought something was wrong."

"If we're going to breakfast let's get a move on." Thomas said as he sat up.