Chapter 25- Leo

"I have some news." Mr. Walker was seated across from Leo in the all to familiar interrogation room.

Leo stared at him expectantly, "Well?"

Mr. Walker swallowed, "Mr. Bradley's trail is being combined with yours, and I've just got the word from Boston that two boys were apprehended and are being brought here to join you in the trail."

Leo's heart skipped a beat, "Who?"

Mr. Walker glanced at a piece of paper in front of him, "The names I have here are, Tristan and Rory, I'm guessing those aren't their real names."

Leo blinked slowly; the name Rory was one letter off from being Roy. Could it be Roy that was going to join him? Leo thought about the name Tristian, what names could it be? Leo shook his head, there were too many possibilities, too many boys on the boat he didn't know. Leo found himself replying to Mr. Walker's statement, "No, probably not."

"Well, I suppose we'll meet them soon won't we?"

Leo nodded, "What time is it at?"

Mr. Walker glanced at his watch, "It's set for three, it's currently noon, so we have a few more hours of prep until you have to be back in your cell."

Leo cleared his throat as he leaned forward, "So, what else is there to prep me on?"

"Not much, I'd just like to go through your testimony once more." Mr. Walker replied as he opened one of the many folders that were sitting in front of him.

Leo sighed but began to recite his testimony. "My name is Leeroy Marden. When I was eight my parents died in a car crash and I was moved to Saint Marks, as I have no living relatives. I spent the rest of my childhood there. When I was fifteen Mrs. Marden came to the orphanage looking for an older boy to adopt. When we met it was like we automatically clicked, that September was the best month of my life. When Mrs. Marden decided to go on a family trip to Boston to celebrate our coming together we noticed a boat docking at the port and a lot of boys around my age were getting off of it. We moved closer to get a better look, but it was too chaotic. After that we left and returned home. The other day when Officer Wolf pulled us over I was just getting my state ID under Mrs. Marden's name. I am not this immigrant you believe me to be, I plead not guilty."

Mr. Walker nodded in approval, "Good." He looked at his notes and sniffed, "So, after you present your case I'll be calling Mrs. Wintle to the stand. She is the lady who runs Saint Mark's orphanage. You have to pretend you've seen her before, and whatever she says on the stand you have to pretend you remember. She will feed off of what you say and you will feed off of what she says, understand?"

Leo nodded, "Yes." He paused, "Why can't I meet her?"

"No one is allowed to have any contact with you except me, I'm sure you understand that."

Leo understood. If he saw anyone else, the police department runs the risk of an outsider giving him something that could help him break out, he wasn't even allowed to see Mrs. Marden. Mr. Walker had told him that she was doing well, just a little worked up, but he was reassured that she knew what to say on the stand and the entire Marden family, including Sophie would be behind him. Leo stood up, "Is that all?"

Mr. Walker stood up with him, "Yes, I believe so. I'll have Officer Wolf escort you to your cell."

Once Leo was back in his cell he let himself think out all the possible outcomes that the trail could produce. For one, he could be acquitted and allowed to stay with the Mardens, two he could be deported back to England, or three, he could be killed. The last one was the least likely, but Leo still thought about it. He feared for Mica as well. He hoped that Mica would be able to keep his composure whilst under oath.