Chapter 3: Oops!

“Are you coming, Anthony?” Ian yelled to Anthony, throwing Audrina’s diaper bag over his shoulder. 

Anthony fumbled out of his room, frowning. “Coming where?” 

Ian picked up Audrina and placed her on his hip. “To Babies’R’Us.” 

Anthony frowned. “Babies’Ru’Us? Fuck no.” 

Ian smiled slightly. “Look, it’s either you come with me or you stay here with Audrina. Your choice, man.” 

“Why don’t I just stay here and you take Audrina with you?” Anthony asked, folding his arms over his chest. 

“Because,” Ian explained, “I have a really long list and I can’t watch Audrina and shop at the same time. If you come, you can put stuff into the buggy and I’ll watch her. If you stay here, you’ll have to watch her alone.” 

Anthony sighed. “And why should I agree with anything at all you say?” 

Ian grinned. “Because I’m your best friend and you love me.” 

Anthony gritted his teeth, defeated. He sighed before sliding his black Converse onto his feet. “Okay fine, you douche. But it’s just to get you off of my back. I know you’ll persist until I agree.” 

“And you love me,” Ian chuckled. 

“Yeah,” Anthony replied, “whatever. I love you.” 

As Ian opened the door, his heart fluttered a little. Anthony had, after all, just said that he loved him. 

You’re taking this way out of context, Ian thought to himself. Just focus on the baby, idiot.

“Hey!” Anthony exclaimed, chasing after Ian. 

Ian stopped, turning around. “Huh?” 

Anthony shut the door. “What are we supposed to take her in?” 

“What do you mean?” Ian asked, frowning. 

“I mean,” Anthony said, “that we don’t have a carseat. Nor do our cars have four doors.” 

Ian sighed and looked down. To his utter surprise, there on the sidewalk sat a baby’s carseat. He looked up at Anthony, who was hiding a grin. 

“I guess Kara didn’t want to lug it into the house.” 

*

Ian lifted Audrina into the child seat of their shopping cart. He frowned slightly at how apathetic she still looked. He looked up at Anthony to see that was frowning, too, hands jammed in his pockets. 

Anthony will come around, Ian thought to himself, I just really need to figure out what’s wrong with Audrina.

“What do we have to get?” Anthony grumbled, snapping Ian out of his thoughts. 

“A lot of stuff,” Ian replied, “so we’re probably gonna need two buggies.

Anthony sighed, but he turned around headed back toward the front of the store to get another one. 

Ian smiled to himself before he let his eyes trail back to the baby girl in front of him. “I’m sorry he hasn’t been very nice to you. He’s just confused…and scared. Pretty soon, he’ll come around, I promise. You’re gonna like living with us.” 

To his dismay, Audrina never smiled, she only watched him intently. 

What the hell does this mean? He asked himself. It looked like he needed to buy a parenting book.