Chapter 5 - Learn to Fly

The rumbling of the public bus had woken Bodi up. How long had the bus been running since it took off from the foot of Snow Mountain? 10 minutes? 20 minutes? Bodi checked his mobile phone. 30 minutes had already passed.

The young mastiff took some time to observe the bus in greater detail. There were a wide variety of animal passengers on the bus, some big, some small. There were young adults on their mobile phones, uncles and aunties returning home after visiting their friends from faraway places and even some animal soldiers who had booked out for the day.

He took one look outside and realised that the bus was on a freeway leading to his destination, Mengcheng. There were cars of all shapes, sizes and colours all taking the same journey as the bus, not knowing a black car was tailing the bus from a distance.

As the sun sets, the rays turned crimson red as it descends to the landscape, Bodi took out his songbook and discovered a note hidden between the pages. He opened the paper note and it read:

Hey Bodi

I knew you would be able to find this hidden inside your favourite songbook! Being your first time exploring Mengcheng, read this carefully.

Remember to be extra careful when walking on the streets at night. There may still be pickpockets trying to steal your valuables behind your back, so always watch yourself.

Also, enclosed to this note is an address to a hotel I had selected based on research. The allowance provided would be more than enough to cover for 6 months of living expenses. Just don't lose the money ok?

I also slotted in a survival pack that I made the day before you go on your musical adventure. This should give you sufficient information for the trip ahead.

Good luck Bodi and have fun!

Uncle Fleetwood

Bodi closed the note and unzipped his haversack to find the survival pack that Uncle Fleetwood had prepared. Inside was a map of Mengcheng itself, with various tourist attractions and a subway map.

Thanks, Uncle, Bodi thought as the bus had a move along.

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

Soon, the bus had turned for an exit that leads to Mengcheng City. It stopped at a toll plaza, during which Bodi peered out to admire what it seems a towering metropolis. The one-hour journey on the bus was well worth it, even though he was starting to feel the numbness of his legs.

Once the bus driver paid for the toll, the toll gate opened, and the bus rolled on. Bodi noticed the sign welcoming the mammals into the city:

Welcome to Mengcheng

The Dream City Awaits You

As the bus got to a local highway, the bus driver, a zebra, thought it would be a great opportunity to play a song. He selected a song from his mobile phone connected to the main bus speaker, and a certain tune comes out.

(Song: "Learn to Fly" by Foo Fighters)