Part 53

PEPPER

I wake suddenly, out of breathe. It takes me less than a second to realise that Tony is no longer beside me. And it's not an impermanent thing. I know, somewhere within me, Tony has gone. Still I call out for him.
'Tony?' I shout, and again, louder. Peter starts to cry. For once I ignore him. I search the house, every room, every impossible place.
I end in Peter's room. Peter is crying in his cot, a letter pinned to the wall beside his bed with my name on it.
I drop to my knees. I know what has happened. Not the specifics, but I know that Tony has gone. Tears fill my eyes and I'm distraught. I continue crying long after Peter has stopped, trying to find it within myself to read the letter.
Light is coming through the blinds by the time I get my trembling fingers to open the letter.

Miss. Potts,

Goodness I've a lot to say to you. A lot of things I'd like to say. I know you know I'm gone. I left the note with Peter so that you'd be close to something you and I both love. Find comfort with him.
Shuri found a way to bring everyone back. It involves going back in time and changing the channel of events. We'll still be together, but Peter won't have been born. I'm sorry I made this decision. I'm sorry. But it's so much bigger than us, and I know if you'd told me not to go, I wouldn't have. I love Peter, and the life we've built more than anything. And I'm so thankful for you. I never thought I'd find this. And I pray we find it again, in another world.
Do not blame Shuri. Blame me. She tried to find any other way, but this was it. This was all we had. I'm so sorry for that.
I've enclosed a separate letter for Peter, when he is older. So this is for you, Miss.Potts.
I'm so glad I hired you. Or at least I'm so glad I hired the guy who hired you. Best decision I ever made. You saw me at my worst. I'm so certain I'd still be there if not for you. I'm so glad I married you and I can't believe I'll get to do it again, in some other, better world.
You can call Steve or Shuri, they'll tell you more about it, if you want. I'm sorry I can't be the one to do that.
So this is it, Pepper, I'm signing off. I love you and for as long as I live, I'll be thinking of you. It's always been you.

All my love,
Tony