Part 54

TONY

Time passes so differently. I see the world reversing whilst the one I knew continues. I have no concept of body, no hands or head-just mind.
I watch as the last year I had with Pepper and Peter reverses, the year I spent with Shuri. The fight against Thanos. My fight agains Steve. The battle of Sokovia.
But then. I see Pepper on the floor beside Peter. Reading my letter. I see her standing there until Rhodey comes by, finds her. I left a separate message for him; a message of sorts. I left him the rest of my IronMan armours, bar one for Pepper. They'll respond only to him. I didn't think there was much more for me to say. We're not the type.
I watch as he comforts Pepper, and then it's all on fast-forward.
Peter grows older as Pepper moves them to Canada, a ten minute walk from the sea. She doesn't go back to work, my billionaire status meaning neither she nor Peter will ever have to work again.
I watch as different people come to visit. Bruce, Shuri, Rhodey. Natasha and Steve. Rhodey comes often. She is okay.
Peter grows up, but he's not a scientist. He's a writer. He reads like crazy and prospers and makes his own name. Pepper stays by the sea.
It's over in an instant. I'm thrown to my knees in the middle of a field and it takes me a long time to realise where I am, what is happening. It's felt like an age.
I look around me, blinding light. It takes a minute or too before my eyes adjust. I see Thor lying face down a couple feet away from me, and Carol lying on her side.
For me, it's been years. An eternity. For them it's been seconds.
Carol stirs, looks around.
'Tony?' She asks, propping herself up, 'did it work? Are we...is this when we're meant to be?'
'I think so.' I say, getting to my feet. I stumble over to her and help her stand, 'well have to do some digging. But as far as I know...'
I trail off the end of my sentence and head over to Thor.
'Hey, buddy.' I say, shaking him, 'up you get.' He lifts his head groggily, and blinks, completely out of it. 'C'mon. Here you go.' I say as I take one of his hands and pull him into a sitting position.
'Where...what?' He asks, staring at me, 'Tony. Did it work?' He asks, coming to his senses.
'You two are the supernatural beings, you tell me.' I say.
Carol pauses a second, 'you know I can't do that right?' She asks.
'I am aware.' I say, looking to her.
'Right. Just checking. Cool.' She says, 'just one more thing, what now?'
'I guess...' I trail off, even now, when I'm the least powerful, with no idea of what to do, I'm still somehow in charge, 'wait until we're back to ourselves, then head out, grab some disguises-Thor and me are still famous in this time. Then we check the date. And I guess we go from there.'
'Right.' Carol says, nodding, looking around, 'Cool. Cool. Cool. Works for me.'