Chapter Two

A/N-Just a heads up this is were most of the other characters come in. The story is just now getting started.;) All rights to Alexandra Bracken. Enjoy!!

Ruby's POV

     I enter Virginia Beach high. It's really big,and has a semi-modern design. I find my way to the office and talk to the receptionist. "Hey, I am new here and I thought you could give me my schedule. My name's Ruby Daley."

"Sure, honey",she says through a forced smile as she hands me the schedule. "Have a good first day." "You too", I mumble as I speed walk away. I try to find myself through the big and very confusing school and out of pure luck I found my locker.

The bell rings to go to class, and I run through the halls looking like a crazy person trying to find my first period. Just before the late bell rings I see the numbers 394 and I got butterflies in my stomach when I saw it on a door and I quickly run in and head to the back of the room. I set down my books and take a seat trying to avoid everyone's stares.                                                                                                    

It doesn't work, my cover is blown.

I quickly explain my situation to the English teacher, and he just fills me in on what they are doing. Apparently they read Watership Down and everyone had to write an essay on it, and since I told him that I have already read it I still have to write it.             

Great. Just Great

Going back to the back of the class I catch someone in the eye. His golden hair is the only thing that I notice besides his fixated blue eyes. I turn my head quickly so we don't lock eyes and I go back to my seat. I try to forget that he was staring and I drowned out all of the sound coming from the class except the bell that signaled my departure.

P.E is my next class, of course just what I need, to seat my guts out before lunch. It actually wasn't that bad. Instructor Johnson said we only have to run a mile today. While I was running I closed my eyes and thought of all the times my dad would chase me through the house and me trying to get away. I always thought that made me go faster. I beat all of the other girls my age because they all walked. When I finished there were only a few other people done. I wish I was smart enough to bring a book like that guy over there. His skin was dark and he was slim with a pair of glasses at the bridge of his nose. "Hi, whatcha reading?"

"It's not really any of your business now is it," he said with a bit of venom in his voice. "Sorry. But is it any good?" "No, I am trying to read an awful book that you keep interupting!" He walked as far away from me as he could. The bell finally rang. P.E was finally over and so was that awkward conversation.

Why is everyone so different here!? The people here seem to be a lot more on edge than at Thurmond and it is so much bigger. I know it is only 2nd period but I am starting to miss Thurmond and Salem.

A/N- soo Feedback please. Good or bad?