CHAPTER 7

Rainbow Steve's glowing spirit stayed motionless in the midair. His gaze was fixed at something Lucas couldn't see. He seemed unconscious, then blinked quickly, as if he was awakened. "I couldn't stay any longer now, Lucas. Whatever you do, don't take the wrong path-!" A swirl of glowing dust surrounded the figure as the spirit disappeared in a flash of light. The silence and Lucas's troubled heart was what's left.
Lucas tumbled down leaning against the boulder interior wall. He took a deep breath, knowing that maybe something had rushed in summoning Rainbow Steve's spirit. And the last chance to meet up with either of them would drain all his powers, leading him to nowhere but death and vanquishment. And the worst part was that Nightmare Steve could use his host's powers without encountering any revolting.
He picked up his sword and stored his lava bucket. Without saying a word, he stepped in the portal and found himself back at the small underground chamber by the roots of a familiar oak tree. Lucas adjusted his cap while heading to the edge of the ceiling and pressed his ear on it, hearing for any unusual noise as always. His muscles stiffened, Nightmare Steve's aura was filled all over the place around him. He might had known he had went through the portal. "Oh god..." he facepalmed with both hands, frustrated, "this is gonna be hard..." Lucas turned around, finding a plain wall suitable for digging. Yet he stopped. "No... he might suspect I'm digging underground again... flippin' reverse psychology..." Lucas thought hard on and about, thinking of the best way to leave the portal without Nightmare Steve suspecting anything. He finally gave up the plan of digging a tunnel and broke out of the underground. Turning his head around, he caught a glimpse of Nightmare Steve's magma block pillar back inside the Rainbow Wall, which an iron cage was fixed at the top surrounded by flows of lava. Lucas hurried to take a closer look as he stopped beside the Wall, keeping a little distance from it. Nightmare Steve's aura grew larger and larger which covered the whole Rainbow Town.
Lucas tried to break a grass block nearby, only to find he couldn't. He blinked, the area was finally cursed, and no one except Nightmare Steve himself, could struggle free from the truth that they couldn't access anything. Lucas curiously padded towards a column of wool, reaching his hand out. Suddenly a small figure hopped out from a bush beside him, catching his attention. Twitching its two long ears, the brown rabbit sniffed the wall, then pounced towards it, but only to find itself electrocuted. The rabbit fell backwards from the knock back and stayed motionless on the ground. Its black eyes drove into nothingness. Terrified and shocked, Lucas pulled his hand back from the wool at the sight of the tragedy. Somehow the Town was protected by Rainbow Steve's lightning. He looked at the pillar which Nightmare Steve had built earlier to hold prison of his Steve friends with troubled eyes. "Rainbow Steve can't hold much longer," he told himself, "Sabre, you have to be quick, I can't do this alone!" Then realised that he was destined to free Light and Silver Steves himself, and Sabre could be miles away, leaving nothing but wasting time if he waited for him. Hiding one hand in his pocket, Lucas tried to resist the temptation of going in there. However, the more he thought about it, the tighter he found holding his sword, until he felt something warm and wet on the handle. Holding the hilt with his other hand to examine his palm, he wasn't surprised as a long streak of fresh blood appeared running from the base of his index finger to the opposite direction. He blinked as if the pain just started kicking in after realising what's going on.
Lucas tore a corner of his umber red zipless vest and rested his bleeding palm on it, tying a knot which acts like a bandage since he used his last scrap on Light Silver Steve when he was wounded severely. Sweating as well as narrowing his eyes, he was trying not to alert anything while in pain. His gaze was fixed on his dressed cut as he reached to arm his sword back when a sudden aura change alerted him. Turning back to the Rainbow Wall, he glanced at the ground close to it, instead of grass and greens, there was a line of podzol around the wall. "This is strange..." he thought, "no life is allowed to flourish in here, not even bones and flesh could survive inside the border..." he glared at a rabbit corpse laying beside him, its feet were disintegrated, as if they were completely corrupted by strong acid. The fur was burnt black, and the flesh was slowing vanishing, revealing the bones, but even its bones couldn't withstand the power of Rainbow Steve's Lightning as it also stared to melt while its blood evaporated briskly in the air.
He turned his gaze to another streak of blood flowing towards the Rainbow Wall from a small slope. He recognised immediately that it was his blood dripping from his cut, but a bit of him didn't really want to care. While plotting what to do next when gazing lazily at the tiny stream distracted, until he realised that his blood trickled through the barrier without a problem. Curious and confused, he crept closer to the wall, reaching his hand out again with no hesitation. Lucas closed his eyes, not daring to peek at his melting hand. When he felt the soft wool touching his fingers. Surprised, he stared back at his hand, which was phasing through a yellow glowing barrier and touching the Rainbow Wall. Lucas quickly retrieved his hand back and examined it while holding it with the other. Was he one of the two immune to the deadly lightning barrier? He then recalled Rainbow Steve's spirit talking, "Remember, he could only block out most life sources, but only two could withstand it." he guessed that Nightmare Steve wouldn't be so generous to let two of his enemies have the barrier pass, so he probably had kept the right to himself. And yet, the other admin right, was possessed by Lucas.
A bit relieved, a bit thrilled, Lucas jump up and grabbed the top of the Rainbow Wall. Yellow lightning flares glowed unevenly as he passed through the protected border while turning himself to grip the anvils on top. After making it on the top of the wall, he turned back to see the glowing stopped, revealing the same invisible deadly weapon behind him. Turning his head towards the pillar, his eyes quickly scanned the area for Nightmare Steve. But there's no one there except the caged Steve friends on the top. "Hang on," he muttered, as he quickly bounded along to find vines to slide down. And frankly, he spotted a few tangles just nearby with a corner of his eye. Trying to hop down, his gaze was fixed on the ground, thinking where to land. He suddenly felt a hit on his shoulder, and before he knew it, he blacked out, seeing nothing except further darkness.