Four - Part 2

"Sorry." Aurora stepped back, out of Adam's warm space, out of his grip. And promptly backed into somebody else. She whipped around, placing her back against the wall nervously so that wouldn't happen again. "Jesus. Sorry again."

"No problem," the newcomer said easily. He was smiling at her too, but it seemed a bit strained, and as soon as his lips closed, his expression slid into a moody glare. He was taller, lankier than Adam, and his hair was straight and dark, also trimmed neatly. He looked a bit pale, and his eyes were dark under thick brows. He was wearing a pair of black rimmed glasses, and dark clothes, as well, with black leather bands around his wrists.

"This is my friend, Daniel. We were just checking out the campus. Seeing what classes were still available. Our counselor told us we should take it slow the first quarter."

"That's probably smart." Aurora was definitely not taking it slow her first quarter, with twenty-five credits worth of sciences to wade through. "Nice to meet you, Daniel."

"Daniel. This of course is Aurora. You remember I told you about her." Adam was focused on her face again, watching her as he spoke. "We were across the hallway looking at the bulletin board, and what a surprise when I look up to see my new friendly acquaintance Aurora charging through the crowd like Boadicea."

"And Adam just had to chase after and see what had you so intent," Daniel drawled, leaning his shoulder against the wall. He managed a look that was somehow bored and interested at the same time.

"I didn't chase. I was curious."

"Oh, I just... I was late. And I knew I was. But I still wanted to... not be late." Aurora gave a little choked laugh at that horrible explanation.

"Why not? Is it a good class?" Adam's gaze sharpened on her.

Aurora paused, thinking on that question. "Well, I've only been to one class, but I really enjoyed it. He seems to have passion for the subject, which is the one thing that makes a teacher worth learning from, I think."

"Seems wise. Eh, Daniel?" Adam reached out and bumped his fist against the taller man's elbow.

"Yes, she is a wise goddess, just as you sensed," Daniel responded in a monotone.

Adam's face cracked into another smile. "Daniel is learning when to joke. And how."

"Well, you can practice on me," Aurora offered. "I'm a good audience."

"No polite smiles," Adam warned. "Only if it's genuine. That's the only way he'll learn."

"Understood." Aurora fought to keep her expression solemn.

"I can't tell jokes on cue." Daniel pushed himself up from his lounging stance against the locker. "They have to flow organically from the situation. Like urine."

Aurora pressed her lips together on a smile. "That one wasn't bad."

Daniel's pouting mouth turned up in a slight smirk. "Told you." Then he looked to Adam and raised one brow. "Think I'm going to check out the cafeteria, grab a snack. Meet you at the counselor's office in a bit?"

Maybe it was Aurora's imagination, but it seemed like Adam's face flushed light pink as he replied. "Yeah, sounds good."

"I actually should go, too." Aurora grasped the straps of her backpack, tightening them on her shoulders nervously. "I'm going to study Anthropology for a couple of hours before my next class. I'm on my way to the library."

"Oh, really? Too bad. I thought it would be good to keep working on you, while I have the chance." Adam turned and began sauntering down the hallway, glancing over his shoulder at her expectantly.