Six - Part 2

The rest of the afternoon flew by. Aurora didn't realize how late it was getting until the cold wind started to seep through her jacket, and she noticed Rosalind's shoulders trembling through her sheer dress. Ros was completely wrapped up telling an anecdote about the time she was in a production of The Tempest, and one of the actors had one breast pop out of her outfit. Aurora waited until she was finished before cutting in.

"Sorry to break things up, guys, but I actually just realized the time... I have to go to work soon." She began uncurling herself from her comfortable position against Vader's heated body.

"Where do you work?" Adam bent to clip a leash onto Vader's collar.

"The gas station on Main street," Aurora said. Her lips twitched with amusement when she noticed the new leash, but she didn't bring it up. "Across from the fitness place?"

"Oh, nice. You work night shifts?" Adam frowned. "Doesn't sound very safe."

"Aurora's a badass, she can take care of herself, right babe?" Ros drawled, wrapping her arm over Aurora's shoulders.

"Right." Aurora bit her lip on a grin and shook her head. "You need a ride anywhere, Adam?"

"Oh, no. Thanks, but I think Vader and I will go walking for a while." Adam gave them both a smile and a salute. "It was real nice to meet you, Rosalind. Aurora, see you again soon."

"See ya," Ros called after him.

Aurora paused, watching his back as those broad shoulders of his began to disappear in the growing darkness. When he was gone, she turned, and had to hurry to catch up to Ros, who was scampering up the grass towards the car at top speed.

Aurora arrived, panting, and unlocked the doors, sliding in out of the cold gratefully. Ros plopped herself down in the passenger's seat and cranked up the heat as soon as the engine was running, holding her fingers up to the vents.

"So cold. Why did you let me stay out there so long?"

"Because I'm the worst," Aurora replied cheerily.

"You are the worst. But Adam is the best." Ros stuck her thumb up. "I approve."

"Well I'm glad. Because I definitely require your approval before making new friends."

"Shut up, baby, I know it."

Aurora laughed. "So. Shall I take you home before I go to work?"

Ros leaned back and gave an elegant wave of her hand. "Drive on, Miller."

***

"And that's the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it!" Aurora's singing turned more into a grunt of effort as she stretched up on the tips of her toes. Her fingers barely clasped around the box on the top shelf in the storage room, and she tugged it triumphantly. It toppled down and landed safely in her arms, the plastic cups stacked inside rattling around, but none spilling.

"When you take me by the hand... Tell me I'm your lovin' man..." 

She began stacking up the cups next to the fountain machine, taking a paper towel and wiping down the narrow countertop. The song had just gotten back around to the chorus again when she heard the bell chime. She only had a couple of minutes more on this shift, as it was nearing three in the morning, so she was astonished there were any customers. She was about to turn around with her usual friendly greeting when she heard a familiar voice.

"Hey there."

"Adam?" Aurora tossed the paper towel into the garbage and wiped her hands on her jeans, turning to face him.