Seven - Part 5

"Crap. How do I make it stop doing that?" Aurora leaned forward, knuckles white on the controller as she concentrated on the screen. The small character she was playing was still leaping wildly in circles, bright green lightsaber flashing and swirling with each flip.

"Stop holding down that button?" Chinook offered dryly from her spot on the couch.

Cece was cackling, lounging against Aurora's side, and every once in a while kicking back and launching into another fit of giggles. "I never saw anybody so bad at Lego Star Wars before," she hiccuped finally. Then she reached over and showed Aurora. "Try that one."

"Thanks." Aurora's little Lego man stopped flipping and began trundling around, trying to catch up with the others. "Jeez. This is impossible."

"No, you're just really bad at it," Chinook said.

"Be nice," Adam cut in. He was a solid, comforting presence on Aurora's other side, playing one of the characters actually running around competently in this game world.

"I am bad at it," Aurora laughed as she ran the Lego guy into a corner and got stuck. "Crap. You guys, go on without me! There's something in the corner I have to stare at."

This sent Cece into another peal of giggles that didn't stop until a loud knock at the front door startled all of them.

"Who is it?" Chinook sang out.

"Jane." The voice from the other side of the door had the same effect on the joyous atmosphere as an icy deluge of water.

Immediately, Cece began shoving candy wrappers into and underneath the couch cushions, wiping chocolate smears off her cheeks, and straightening her tangled clothing. Adam's jaw clenched and he rose to his feet, turning off the TV and gathering up the game controllers, stashing them under the DVD player.

"Who is Jane?" Aurora whispered, looking wide eyed from one to the other.

Without answering, Chinook rose from the couch and swept open the front door, standing aside with a reserved smile. "Come in, Jane. You're early."

Meeting so many new people was rare in a small town, and Aurora wondered how she'd never seen any of them before. She'd have remembered seeing Jane. The woman was in her thirties, tall, with thick wavy red hair tumbling down below her shoulders, and icy blue eyes. Her mouth was full and a delicate natural pink, and her nose straight and narrow. She was wearing black slacks and a black tanktop, with a suit coat draped over one arm. Her shoulders were squared and muscular, and she was looking over the entire room with a sharp, steely gaze. Then her eyes landed on Aurora, and her perfectly manicured brows lifted high.

"And who is this?"

Aurora stood up and brushed off crumbs from her pants, looking around at Chinook, Adam and Cece's guilty, frozen expressions. She sighed and lifted her chin. "Aurora Miller. Nice to meet you."

"Jane Derrington, at your service." The woman's brusque words and cool smile didn't make Aurora feel more at ease. "I am here to collect my young charge, if you are ready?"

Cece walked over and smiled up beatifically. "Yes Jane."

"And how are... things?" Jane looked over the room sharply, eyes falling on the couch, then back to Cece. "I suppose there's no point in asking if you've had a proper meal today."

Cece nodded soberly. "I had green spinach and green beans, and... green lettuce...and..."

"All right." Jane's eyes softened slightly and she stood aside, gesturing to the front door. "Go wait in the car, Cece. Jamison is waiting for you."

"Jamie!" Cece's face lit up, and she tore out the front door, slamming it behind her.

There was a moment of silence as Jane tucked her hands behind her back, carrying herself like a soldier. Then she cleared her throat. "Are you all well?"

"Fine," Chinook said quickly. "All good."

"You're still planning on attending class in the next quarter?"

"Yes. All on track."

More silence. Aurora felt uncomfortable, but probably leaving right now would make it worse. She stole a glance at Adam, who was glaring at Jane intently, with fists clenched and jaw tight. "So, may I ask who you um... how you know Adam and Chinook?"

"I'm their caseworker." Jane didn't look at Aurora as she replied, still taking in every detail of the room. "And guardian."

"Guardian?" Aurora blurted out, mind racing. Adam had said his parents paid for everything.

"Frankly, dear, it's none of your business." Jane smiled blandly. "And where is Daniel?"

Adam finally spoke up. His eyes were dark, brows low, and his voice was rough, angry. "Frankly, none of your business."

Chinook stepped up next to him and shook his elbow. "Shut up. Daniel usually stays out after class on Fridays. He probably won't be back until late tonight."

Jane took in a slow, deep breath through her nose and nodded. "Very well. Tell him to call me when he gets in."

"Don't you have an appointment tomorrow anyway?" Chinook's dimple appeared briefly in her cheek, but she gave no other outward indication of smiling.

"Yes." Jane blinked. "I will see all of you tomorrow."

"Good to see you, as always." Chinook followed Jane as she turned to the door, and pulled it open. "Tell Jamison he can sleep inside tonight, no need to lurk in the car."

Jane glanced over her shoulder sharply, and shook her head. "Not gonna happen."

Chinook shrugged and grinned. "All right. Bye then."

As soon as the door closed, Adam spoke. "What the hell. She wasn't supposed to come by unannounced."

Chinook glanced over at Aurora and frowned. "She was picking up Cece. We have a guest, Adam. Be polite."

"Fuck that."

Aurora swallowed back a lump in her throat. Something was clearly going on here that she didn't understand, and yet was now part of. 

"I... I gotta go to work," she blurted out. She'd be half an hour early, but that wouldn't be a problem. Dylan would probably love to leave early. "Thanks for hanging out today. I'll be in touch."

"Of course." Chinook helped Aurora find her backpack in the pile of bags and shoes and coats near the door. "It was good to meet you. I hope you do stay. Jane is complicated, but everybody who actually lives here gets along great. And I promise you're not in danger, or anything. It's just... family weirdness, you know?"

Aurora didn't know what to say. It had been weird, yes, and maybe she was second guessing herself, but nothing had changed. She still didn't have a choice. So, she just nodded and smiled, and left.