Reverie, Fifteen

Eilidh’s smile faltered at Harry’s serious expression, and she leaned forward, squinting, to read the text on the screen, her heart dropping like a stone when she read the words there.

"Harry-"

"You kissed Rudy?", Harry’s tone was sharp and his eyes looked wild as his eyes raked over Eilidh, ignoring her appearance.

"Rudy kissed me", Eilidh corrected him, and he stared at her, while she racked her brain for an explanation that didn’t implicate her badly.

"Harry", she sat on the bed beside him and tried to take his hand, but he moved it away stiffly, still staring at her face, his eyes demanding an explanation.

"Look", Eilidh exhaled heavily. "The day after we fought at Buff Club, Rudy came round to see if I was alright. We talked about you", her words rushed, as she watched Harry’s expression become more and more stony. "Then he told me that he …liked me", Eilidh choked over the word, unable to bring herself to say the word ‘love’. "Then he kissed me. It lasted two seconds, and I was in so much shock I didn’t even think to push him away. Then he left. Like, immediately after".

Harry stared into space, sighing heavily and rubbing his forehead with his fingers, trying to process what she was telling him. “I met him outside your flat”, he remembered out loud, feeling like a fool.

"What?", Eilidh was startled.

"Never mind. Keep talking", Harry still wouldn’t look at her.

"Thats it!", Eilidh promised, holding her hands up to emphasize her point. "I told Nina about it today, and then I went round to his flat tonight-"

Harry growled in his throat and stood up, pacing across his bedroom to the window and staring out.

"I wanted to see if he was alright", Eilidh’s voice became a whisper, and she was angry at herself for feeling a tear slip down her cheek. Her mind was whirling, and she was suddenly very, very tired. "Harry, hes one of my best mates. He’s like family".

Harry stared out the window silently, truly stumped as how to respond. The thought of someone else kissing her made his hands curl into fists, especially someone who knew that she was taken, by him. However, he valued his relationship with Alex, and knew that Alex and Rudy were best mates. He exhaled heavily, before turning to her. She was crying, but he didn’t move to comfort her. “You said that you told Nina”, he stated, his voice deeper than she had ever heard it, and she nodded, wiping her eyes. “But Eilidh, why didn’t you tell me? You could have told me so many times…we had that talk where we said we didn’t want any secrets”, Harry’s eyes were hurt, and Eilidh felt sick, knowing that he was right.

"I wanted to protect him", Eilidh said, struggling to command control over her voice, and Harry nodded and sighed.

He sat down on the edge of the bed and looked at her, for the first time. “Eilidh”, he cleared his throat. “Is there anything between the two of you? You have to tell me babe. I cant…go any further than this…if you want him in any way”.

Eilidh shook her head vehemently and walked on her knees over to him on the bed, throwing herself into his arms. He caught her and held her, but not as tightly as usual. “Baby, there’s nothing”, she whispered. “I swear. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you”.

He nodded and kissed her hair quickly, before pulling away. “I’m gonna go for a cigarette”, he said without looking at her, and left the room. 

Eilidh stared after him, shaking her head at the unexpected turn the evening had taken. She peeled her legs from under her with a groan, and sat up, slipping the straps of her red lace leotard down off her shoulders, and rummaging in one of his drawers for something to wear. She had a feeling that neither of them would be much in the mood for the seduction routine that had originally been planned. Slipping a pair of his boxers on and a butter-soft t shirt, she slipped her uggs back on and went looking for him.