three

𝐒𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝟐𝟒𝐭𝐡 𝐉𝐮𝐥𝐲 𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟒

courtney sat cross-legged on her twin-sized bed; cherry red phone in hand. she stared at her reflection in the mirror, listening intently to violet and beverly bickering on the phone.

"i'm just saying, it wasn't a good film" beverly stated shrugging her shoulders. "can't change my mind."

"i don't have to" violet scoffed. "you're wrong, you just don't understand art"

"you think i don't understand art?" she gasped. "how dare you?!"

"guys can we shut up for a second and talk about the fact i'm being shipped off to fucking oregon?" courtney spoke, interrupting the two.

"oregon?" violet questioned. "do they hate you?"

"yeah," courtney giggled softly. "apparently so"

"this would be okay if it didn't mean i have to be alone all summer" beverly sighed.

"guess i'll just go fuck myself" violet scoffed, making courtney laugh.

"shut up, you know i love you," beverly grinned, blowing a kiss down the phone. however, she quickly went silent, a muffled noise coming through the phone. "fuck, my dad's just got home i have to go" and with that, she quickly hung up.

"i hate her dad" courtney stated.

"i'm honestly terrified of him" violet agreed.

"i don't want to go to oregon, what if i get murdered or something and the last people i see are some random family" the tozier girl sighed down the phone.

"you're not going to get murdered, it's not like the night stalker is coming to get you" violet joked.

"you need to stop reading about that shit, so then i don't have to hear about it"  courtney spoke. "plus, that's in LA, not oregon."

"exactly! so stop worrying!" violet insisted. "plus, how would you know that's in LA if it weren't for me?"

"shut up, that's not the point" courtney giggled. "i have to go and pack now, but i'll call you tomorrow" courtney stated.

violet agreed and the girls said their goodbyes before putting down the phone. the brunette placed the phone back on its stand, leaning back against her headboard.

she grabbed the neatly folded pile of clothes from her bed and tossed them carelessly into the open bag laying on her floor. her mother had brought them up about an hour after breaking the news.

one shirt missed the bag completely, falling onto the white carpeted floor. it was a cherry red tank top, something she would have worn more often if it weren't so low cut. usually, she would have tossed it into one of her draws and forgotten about it, but she leaned down from her bed to pick it up from the carpet.

"that's kind of cute" she smiled as she inspected the item of clothing.

courtney quickly found herself rooting through her closet, admiring a few pieces. she filled her bag up with all of her favourite clothes and a few items she wouldn't usually wear, wouldn't hurt to have options.

there was a soft knock at her door which caught her attention, she turned to see her younger brother standing in the doorway.

"hey court," richie spoke. "can i come in?"

"i can't say no you're practically already inside" she replied, turning her attention back to her suitcase.

"yeah, i would've come in even if you said no" he grinned at her, sitting down on her bed.

"i know, rich" she spoke.

"you do know you don't have to take your whole room with you, right?" he asked as he gestured to her bag.

"richie, kindly fuck off" she turned to flash him a polite smile.

"have a nice summer then ugly" he joked as he stood up. "you will call me, right?"

"of course i will," she spoke softly. "i don't know how i'm going to get through this summer without you"

"you're not meant to admit that" richie whispered, making courtney laugh.

"have a lovely time getting off with bill!" she whisper-shouted to him as he left her room.

courtney hid it well, the fact that she was shit scared of going away for the summer. although she adored meeting new people, she was scared of being alone.

what was she even supposed to do there? her mother hadn't even told her a thing about the family, she was practically going to be living with strangers.