Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

I sleep that early morning and through until noon.

No dreams, nightmares or memories preach their way through my mind in the dark. Gerard kept his promise and protected me. However, I also kept my promise; I protected him too.

My eyes flutter open as Gerard's arm falls back to my shoulders. I look up and find him staring at me. 'Good morning...no, wait! It's afternoon. Good afternoon!,' he smiles a bright grin, 'you sleep well? You didn't wake once, no screams or sweating. I'm the cure!' He proclaims proudly.

'I slept fine, no memories found their way in.' I answer with sleep still in my voice. At this moment, Frank walks in. 'Hey, hey! Vicky-' he rushes over to me and Gerard gets up and swings his legs over so Frank can reach me, '-are you okay? I heard you but I left Gerard to get you, understandably.' He sits on the bed and grabs me and holds me close. I don't want to cry, I won't cry. Hold it back, hold it back. 'I'm-okay...well, no, that's not true but I'm dealing with it. Sorry if I woke you.'

'Don't be sorry! It was your first night away from that place so it will still freshly haunt you in the dark,' he says with sympathy, 'Gerard, how you doing too?' Gerard doesn't look at Frank when he answers, 'I'm good; we're curing each other of memories.' He then turns to Frank and pats him on the shoulder and hugs him close. They let go and nod to each other. Frank then looks us both in the eyes with seriousness. 'Not being rude, guys, but you stink! Could you consider washing today please?' He says with a slight smile but is completely serious. 'Yeah, we know Frank. We'll do that now.' Gerard answers with a laugh.

Frank walks out of the room and leaves the door open, inviting us to come out. 'Right, wash time...this is gonna difficult for you seeing as you can't get yourself out of the tub.' I look away, embarrassed by the truth of it. Ray then walks in and holds clean clothes in both arms. 'Brought you some clothes from home Gerard and, Vicky, Lindsey got you some clothes. Hope they fit. Now go wash!' He places the clothes on the end of the bed and leaves.

Gerard washes first. He takes at least half an hour to wash the grim and blood from every inch of his skin. I just lay on the bed, thinking about my dream and nightmare. It brings tears to my eyes and physically hurts me but I just can't ignore it. It is too strong, the thought of Gerard, on the floor, dying in my arms-

Gerard walks through the door. He is a completely different man. I sit up in shock and gasp. I can now see that his hair is in fact brown, not black. I can see his defined jaw bone. I can even see his eyes more clearly. He shines in the sunlight peeking through the window. 'I look different, don't I? Improved?'

'Yes, very much improved...' I trail off. 'My turn to transform...'

Gerard carries me into the bathroom. He dunks me in the tub with my clothes still on. Blood trickles off of them and swirls around in the clear water. He also carried my clothes through. He places them on the toilet seat lid. 'Right, this is how this will work: take off the old clothes in the tub and dump them on the floor. Once you're all cleaned up, pull the plug and place a towel around you and call for me to come and get you out. I'll sit you on the toilet seat lid and leave so you can dress. Once dried and dressed call for me and I'll see you in a new light too.' This is a very precise plan we must follow.

'Yes, sir! That is a very thought out plan there.' I say in a mocking way.

'Yeah, I know but you need your privacy. Now, I leave.' And just like that, he leaves. Door closes and follow the plan.

I take off my shirt, a polo shirt. This could have once been white however it is far from that now. The whole thing is covered in dust and mud. Then a layer of smeared and caped on blood takes the stage. It has a small logo on the left side. It is of three trees and says, 'Collingwood College'. What this means, I don't know. I'll ask Gerard later.