06: Mermen, Pirates, or Assassins?

SIX

                It took Percy only a few minutes to realize what the Nemean Lion coming back to life meant for him and his friends – but especially him.

                It meant that all the monsters and ugly creeps that had ever been killed were coming back, from the very beginning of time, as the Nemean Lion had just demonstrated. Percy didn’t know about Jason and the others, but he definitely had his fair share of monsters and ugly creeps coming back from the dead if the world’s demigod deeds were being undone. Just thinking about it made an ugly, sickening knot form in his gut. He wasn’t crying to be cocky, really, he wasn’t. But… Percy had killed a lot of monsters in his six years of being a demigod. The thought of them all coming back at once to get revenge… Gods.

                “Percy? Percy!”

                Percy’s head snapped up from the laces of his sneakers and he met Annabeth's gaze. “Sorry,” he mumbled. “What was the question?”

                “Are you okay?”

                “Yeah, I'm fine. What was the question?”

                “That is the question.” Piper rolled her eyes. “You're all… pale. Like you’ve seen a ghost.”

                “I haven’t,” he muttered. “Not yet, anyway.”

                Jason snorted. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

                “Think about it,” Percy griped. “I don’t mean to brag or anything, but… When it comes to killed monsters and stuff, I'm kind of a few points ahead of you guys. And if the monsters come back to kill the specific person that sent them to Tartarus…”

                “You're screwed,” Leo finished. “Big time.”

                “Yeah. Basically.”

                “Don’t worry, Percy,” Frank said. “If they do come back for you, they’ll find all of us ready and waiting. Am I right?”

                “Totally,” Hazel agreed.

                “Maybe,” Jason said. “Ouch, Piper! I was kidding!” he protested when Piper socked him on the arm. “Gods.”

                “It looks like they're coming back in order, though,” Annabeth pointed out. “That means we have a good three millennia left until they come for us.”

                “Sucks for Herc the Jerk, though,” Leo commented.

                “They don’t die,” Hazel announced. “They just… go down long enough for you to run. And even then, they might follow you.”

                “What’re you trying to say?” Piper frowned.

                Hazel bit her lip. “I don’t think there’s any way to avoid what’s happening,” she said at last. “We just have to get to the North Pole before our monsters catch up to us.”

Percy wasn’t on the ship when he saw the bright purple flippers disappear below deck. He was behind the ship, sitting on a wave and following Leo’s steadfast course to the North Pole. In the distance, the rocky shores of Canada loomed ahead of them. In the west, Percy could see the dying rays of the sun as it set, making the water look white.