Epilogue

EPILOGUE

The palace of Olympus was full of life as the gods celebrated their tremendous victory over the angels – a celebration that had been going on for two weeks now. Wine was flowing, people were laughing, and the smell of burnt offerings filled the air. There was music and laughter all over the place. Smiling faces, happy tears, and reunited family and friends filled the halls of Olympus. The gods had not known such a celebration in years – not since the Heroes of Olympus had defeated Gaea and her giants.

"Poseidon." Zeus smiled warmly at his brother. "It's good to see you again, brother."

"And you." Poseidon clasped Zeus's proffered forearm. "Is everyone ready?" There was a hint of anxiousness to the sea god's tone. He seemed almost nervous.

Zeus nodded. "Almost." As if sensing his brother's apprehension, he put a hand on Poseidon's shoulder and said in a quieter voice, "It'll be all right, brother. You'll see. We must have faith, remember?"

Poseidon barked out a laugh. "I've had enough faith for a long time," he admitted.

"Come, brother," called Demeter from the other side of the room. She was waiting for them by a small door at the back of the throne room. "We're waiting for only you two. Aphrodite and Ares are anxious to get started."

"I didn't even realize Hades had arrived," Zeus murmured as they made their way to where the goddess waited. "I've been distracted all evening," he admitted with a hint of sheepishness. "I suppose my nerves have been getting the better of even me."

"We've all been nervous," Poseidon agreed. "Did you hear that Apollo almost let the sun rise twice in the western hemisphere?"

"I thought it was just a rumor."

Poseidon laughed. "No, brother, it's very much true. The younger gods have been anxious for this moment since we left Istanbul." He paused when they arrived at the door to kiss his sister Demeter lightly on the cheek. "Hello, sister."

"Ridiculous name for a city," Zeus declared, striding through the door with his brother and sister in tow. "What was wrong with Constantinople?"

"Bit of a mouthful, I daresay." Artemis slipped through the door just behind her father, quick as a fox. "Am I late?"

"No, no. Just on time." Poseidon led the way to where the rest of the gods waited.

They stood standing around a large, circular table. Mist rolled over it in slow, lazy spirals. The dim glow of the table illuminated the faces of the Olympian family.

"There you are!" Hera kissed her husband when he took his place beside her. "We've been waiting."

Hephaestus leaned forward. "Can we get started? We're all here now, aren't we?"

Hades grunted. "I don't wanna wait another minute. Souls have been streaming into the Underworld faster than ever this winter. Stupid freeway accidents and drunk drivers." He scowled. "I hate the holidays."

Dionysus nodded. "I don't have much time, either," he agreed. "I should get back to camp soon." The god of wine had started taking his duties as the head of Camp Half-Blood much more seriously since the Angel War. Whenever anyone asked him about it, all he would say was I promised someone I would do better, so I am.

"Yes, we can start." Zeus looked around the table. He leaned forward and waved his hand over the mist on the table. It parted under his touch. Closing his eyes, the king of Olympus murmured something under his breath, too low to be heard.