BLUE-GRAY

"I know you," he said with a smirk. "You think too much, talk too little, and try harder than anyone else."

"It isn't enough, though," I said with a sigh. "I still fall short too often. Things still go wrong and I'm still scared."

The smoke from our cigarettes wafted up to the blue-gray sky. I checked my watch. The bus was going to be there in 5 minutes. We were the only ones there at the bus stop, and I was feeling hopeless.

"I hope that all goes away for you," he said. He smiled in a way that showed complete satisfaction.

The light afternoon drizzle was getting stronger, turning into a soft rain. Smoke as I might, it no longer brought me relief. And being with him was starting to get tiring, but oh, did I love those chocolate brown eyes and that hoarse voice, that messy hair and the smell of his clothes. I knew he wanted me to stay forever, but lately I've been wondering if all those little things were enough.

"I've got to go," I told him as I threw my cigarette into the metal waste bin beside my chair.

"I'll tell you how it goes."

As I walked away, his smile was still plastered on his face, looking almost creepy, like he was never bothered about things because he knew something incredible that I didn't. And indeed, it always seemed that way. We both looked at the blue-gray sky, and I wondered how long I could take just being his friend.