12

It was the night before Halloween and I was watching cartoons with Whisper and the kittens, on a Children's channel, that played around the clock children shows. I thought Whisper would like the cartoons.

.

She was fascinated.

"I have never seen a television before," she told me.

"I had heard of them, but we could never afford one, Daddy would say."

.

"Well you can watch as much as you want."

.

"Thank you Will."

.

As I watched, I thought about Halloween and the fact that I had absolutely nothing to hand out to the kids. I never celebrated Halloween before. I usually turned off the lights in my apartment and hid in my room, drinking.

But this year I wanted to do it. I would go to the general store in the morning and talk to Mayor Maynard about it.

But then I wondered if any kids would even venture this far from the village for tricks or treats.

But it would be a treat for Whisper, I was sure of that.

.

Suddenly a feeling swept over my whole body and brought tears to my eyes.

I looked around my living room, at my cats, the cartoons on my TV and somewhere near, my little ghost.

It hit me like a ton of bricks; I was home.

I was a part of a family. It was a unique family, but it was a family.

My family.

.

I wiped my eyes, sniffled slightly and got up quickly from the couch. I headed for the bathroom and a tissue, to dry my eyes.

By the time I got there, my eyes were filled with tears and they were stinging slightly.

Reached for a facecloth and wet it with cold water. I put it over my eyes.

.

"Are you okay, Will?"

.

I jumped slightly at the sound of Whisper's voice. I took the cloth from my eyes and looked toward the open door, where I assumed she was.

"I am okay. I must have got something in my eye."

.

"You sounded like you were crying. Are you sad?"

.

I smiled, tears began streaming down my face, again.

"No, Whisper, I am not sad."

I wiped my eyes again and knelt down in front of the open door. I knew she was there because Ghost and Spirit were sitting in the hallway.

"Are you in front of me?"

.

"Yes. I am right in front of you."

I felt a slight tingle on my cheek, like a feather gently touching it.

.

I put my hand to my cheek.

"Did you touch my face?"

.

"I'm sorry, Will. I just wanted you to know I was here."

Her voice sounded so sad.