13

I awoke suddenly.

I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and looked at the clock on my night table.

2:32 a.m.

"What the ..."

.

Then I heard it again. A definitive banging of some sort.

Not the kind that would send fear through you, but more a continuous tap, tap, tap.

I turned on the light on the night table and listened carefully, trying to determine what it was.

.

My first thought was the kittens, but they were both sitting at the foot of the bed, staring out toward the hallway.

Another bang.

And then another and another and another.

.

Finally, I got out of bed, left the bedroom and headed down the hall. Ghost and Spirit ran past me.

"Well, I guess that eliminates some intruder," I sighed, now having a better idea the source of the noise.

.

As I entered the kitchen, my suspicions were affirmed.

Even though it was fairly dark, the outside night lights on my veranda, showered a soft glow into the kitchen.

.

I had attached a cat play toy to the end of my counter. It was a small plastic ball, with a long elastic. The lady at the pet store, Kim, told me it was a safe toy for the kittens and it would help them exercise.

The ball was constantly banging against the counter.

I turned on the light in the kitchen.

"Whisper?"

.

The ball stopped.

For the second time, I caught a glimpse of a young girl, this time kneeling by the counter, her hand on the ball.

A chill ran through me. Not of fear, but excitement.

"Whisper? I know you are there."

.

"I'm sorry, Will. Did I wake you up?"

.

"You did," I said in a gentle voice.

"Sweetie, I need my sleep."

.

"I'm sorry, Will. I did not know I could move the ball.

But then I could and I was hoping the kittens would come and play. I didn't think I would wake you."

.

Ghost and Spirit were now playing with the ball and again the constant tapping began.

.

I took the ball and put it up on the counter. The kittens jumped a couple times, but the counter was a little too high for them; for now.

I knelt down next to where I thought Whisper was.

"Sweetie, we have to come up with some rules if we are to live together, okay?"

.

"I'm sorry, Will."

.

I shook my head.