Chapter 9

Y/n's p.o.v

            I didn't know what to do with myself. I paced the empty household mournfully, sitting in different rooms, sometimes crying, or just laying down. I wanted to stay inside a cocoon made of blankets for the rest of my life, but I was starving. I didn't want to eat for a while, but I couldn't take the hunger anymore. Amy and I had emptied the house of food before we left for the trip so it didn't get moldy, and the remaining food we had was thrown away. I got ready to go to the square, wearing a hat and doing everything I could to make myself as unrecognizable as possible. My stomach growling, I stepped outside into the bright sunlight. This was going to be a quick, discreet, and quiet food run. I walked fast to the square. so far so good, no one had even looked at me. After successfully making it to the square, I had bought enough food to last me a week. My stomach rumbled uncontrollably. I was walking out of the square when I heard someone call my name.
"Y/n! Hey!" I turned around, my stomach filled with dread. I saw Peggy standing 20 yards away, waving with a big grin. Her face lit up when she saw me and she melted my heart. She ran over to me and I hugged her tightly.
"You're finally back! I've been counting the days, you've been gone for a bit longer than I expected. I'm so happy you're back!" Peggy squealed and hugged be again. I tucked away my feelings and put a smile on my face. I really was happy to see her again, but it still hurt. She continued to chatter while I laughed and commented occasionally.
"- Oh! Alexander asked Eliza the big question! They are engaged now, and oh my god, they are so adorable!!! Even though Alex isn't here, Eliza swoons every time he is mentioned." Peggy filled me in, rolling her eyes at the last part. I giggled. We were walking to my house automatically while I lead the way, and we turned right into the driveway.
"Oh, I've never been to your house before!" Peggy mentioned.
"Speaking of homes, in one of your letters you were talking about moving away with Amy. What was that all about? I didn't press the subject because it sounded sensitive, but are you moving? And for how long? I could still visit you, right?" Peggy asked as we walked into the doorway. My feelings that I had tucked away earlier resurfaced and tears started pouring rapidly down my face. I tried to wipe them off before Peggy saw, but she noticed something was wrong.
"... y/n? Are you alright?" Peggy approached me cautiously, laying her hand on my shoulder.
"Yeah! I'm good!" I was so transparent. Peggy quickly hugged me. She was so comforting, even just her presence could sooth you. After a few moments, we broke apart. Peggy looked me up and down, her face full of concern. My eyes were puffy, my hair was a mess and my lower lip was trembling.
"What happened?" She asked, truly wanting to comfort me.
"I-I screwed up." My voice broke and my eyes filled with tears again. Peggy sat me down on the couch, bringing me tissues, blankets, pillows and some food.
"Now, tell me what happened. Just let it all out, it's okay."  Peggy comforted me. After a minute, I spoke.
"Would you believe me, even if I said something completely crazy?"
She looked confused.
"...yeah, I suppose." She said, her expression puzzled. I took a deep breath and began to tell her everything. How Amy and I had been selected to go to the past, how I wasn't supposed to interfere, how I fell in love with John, how Amy left, and how I was supposed to go with her. When I was done, I fell back into a pile of pillows and it felt as if a giant weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Peggy looked confused, and she looked slightly hurt.
"So... you're leaving? Forever?"
All the weight that had left fell back on me again.
"Well... yes." I said miserably.
"So, you told me this entire crazy story as an excuse to blow me off?" Peggy looked at me, her eyes pained.
"No! That's not it!" I sat up, panicked. This had completely backfired.
"You made this all up just to give us an excuse that you're leaving me and the others forever. Unbelievable." She looked at me, disgusted and hurt. Peggy quickly gathered her things and walked out. I tried to follow her and explain but it was pointless. After trying to chase after Peggy, I returned to my house and hopelessly flopped onto the couch. Why was this happening? But I knew the answer to that. I had lied to myself, saying to myself that I would tell the others I had to leave in a little. Just a little longer. Just one more letter wouldn't hurt! But all the letters and talks had stacked on top of each other like a tower, and I was seeing how tall the tower could be before it fell. I had been playing a game, but now the consequences rained down on me as the tower collapsed, and then I had to clean up the mess I made. I tried to make it easier by telling Peggy the truth, to make her understand why I had to disappear so suddenly, but it had backfired. Instead of comforting her and easing the pain that came with me leaving, I had confused and hurt her, one of the sweetest and best people I had ever met. I didn't think it would get this bad. This had spiraled out of control. Well, leaving will be easier now that Peggy hated me, she would probably vent to everyone else and make them hate me, so there really wasn't a point in staying. I moped around the empty household for two days, and I eventually started to slowly pick up my belongings from all over the house and neatly pack them in my suitcase. I had stopped to stuff my face with the food I bought from the square when I heard some noises upstairs. Not normal noises, but the familiar clicks and whirls that meant someone was traveling through time. My eyes widened. Was that real?
"Amy?" I called out when the sounds had stopped. I dropped my food and raced to Amy's bedroom. There she was, standing, taking in her surroundings. She barely saw me when I slammed into her and gave her a hug.
"I can't believe you're here!" I squealed. Amy looked happy to see me, but then her face fell.
"What is it? I'm almost ready to go back, I've been packing my stuff, I can go home with you!" I told her. I was finally ready and looking forward to going home! Amy looked up at me and bit her lip.
"What's wrong?" I asked. Now I'm concerned.
"Y/n...." she started.
"What? What is it?" I asked worriedly.
"You're not going back home."

sorry it's been a bit since I published last. I hoped u liked this chapter, it's got some drama.   >:)
More is coming soon!