6. Separation

And lost boys like me are free

The strap on his boot buckle was tugged, and he fastened it tight.

Lucario stood beside its trainer, watching cautiously despite there being no real signs of danger. it seemed restless, eager to take a run across the hills or something-- but it waited, patient.

"Well then, I'll be off now," Quartz said to his sister, standing up to brush off the creases on his clothing. He took his backpack from his sister, slinging it casually over his shoulder and trusting what he needed was carefully prepared.

Retrieving a Poke Ball from his belt, he released Honchkrow, and returned Lucario.

"Take care, alright?" Citrine managed a simple word of well wishes. 

Bundled up in warm pyjamas, yawning from a little hasty wake-up call, she wondered if it really was necessary for her brother to leave before dawn.

Riley was fast asleep, and Wallene had gone home to Verdanturf two nights ago. 

Lotad was cradled in her arms, whining out sleep croaks as it slumped comfortably in its trainer's embrace.

"You too, on your own journey," her brother chortled.

"If you don't come back soon, I might crawl my way up to become champion of the Hoenn Region!" Citrine nudged at her older brother.

"Oh, don't push your luck, kiddo!" Quartz chopped her on her head.

Bringing his hands to the end of his belt, he pulled out the last Poke Ball he held.

"That's..." Citrine was surprised when her brother pushed it into her hands-- and closed her fingers over the capsule. "Leafeon?"

"It's hard to say I'm not worried about you going off alone on a journey," Quartz put his hand on the young girl's shoulder, an assuring pat perhaps emanating an older brother's sense of responsibility. 

Citrine and her Lotad looked closer to the ball. The little feline Pokemon inside sat down calmly, accepting the transfer of ownership with little resistance at all.

"He's my best," Quartz ensured, "might not listen to you, though, since it's so strong. But, I can definitely trust it with your safety." 

"So... it's my bodyguard?" Citrine questioned, rather hesitant in accepting it. 

"Your temporary older brother," he suggested.

"Sounds like a better brother than the one I have now," Citrine snickered.

"One day, I will punch you. One day, Citrine," he warned.

Their laughter echoed toward the rising sun, chiming a delicate harmony as they stepped out of the house. In the misty darkness of daybreak, the earth was silent, and the leaves were still. The large Honchkrow spread its wings, horned a song of departure-- and soared.

Citrine's eyes came to meet her brother's one last time.

As his back vanished into the clouds, she tightened her grip on the Poke Ball she was entrusted, and clutched Lotad toward her just a little tighter than before.

Her smile was stripped off of her, and she felt the urge to cry.

But she wouldn't.

"If this was a game, or an anime," she mumbled, only to the two creatures in her arms, "I'd be excited, happy, cheering out loud and getting all crazy over it, wouldn't I?"

Lotad whimpered.

"I really don't understand," Citrine breathed out, desperate to clam her nerves. 

Her clutch on Lotad was only getting harder, and the fear she strained to not let out was bursting forth and threatening to spill in tears.

"What's so fun about the outside world?" she whispered, expecting an answer from the Pokemon that couldn't speak to her, "it only caused me pain last time."

Leafeon popped right out of its Poke Ball, startling the girl as it perched on her shoulders, rubbing its face on hers, some form of animalistic intimacy meant to soothe.

"I mean, who's to say I won't kill myself again?"