Chapter 11: Not a very convincing plan

Isabel arrived at the dungeons, and this time the guard at the entrance allowed her to pass, reminding her that she had a time limit.

Isabel approached Varian's cell, he caressed Rudiger, and when Isabel arrived, he turned his back to her.

- "Varian, I want to talk to you," - said Isabel, but Varian didn't answer. - "What's wrong?"

- "You yelled at me," - Varian stated.

- "You deserved that lecture," - Isabel said starting to angry.

Varian hugged Rudiger like a teddy bear.

- "You didn't hear the whole story," - Varian lamented. - "I only told you that nobody listened to me when my father was in danger because of me..."

- "What do you mean?"

- "You didn't hear the whole story, if you had listened, you could have released me, like you wanted, but you don't understand my anger."

- "Okay, you still have time to explain it to me, before you leave tomorrow," - Isabel announced, causing Varian to turn towards her.

- "Where to?" - Varian asked, frightened and surprised.

- "Corona," - answered Isabel. - "We'll never see each other again, it's your last chance to tell me. If you want... but I'll go back to my room, I must apologize to Mix for my absence."

Isabel turned around and began to walk at a brisk pace.

- "Wait, Isabel!" - Varian shouted. - "Let's make a deal."

Isabel turned smiling. Apparently, Varian had been affected by her words.

- "Tell me, Varian, what kind of deal?" - Isabel asked.

When the princess fixed her brown eyes on him, his heart began to throb with force, because of the nervousness for what he would tell her next.

- "Well, it's not a deal, it's a favor" -stammered Varian.

Isabel raised an eyebrow.

- "You're going to ask me for a favor after what you did to me" - she summarized.

- "This... no" - Varian's voice trembled because of stress. - "No, no, no. Well, yes. Yes, but no."

Isabel crossed her arms.

- "Tell me now, and I'll determine whether it's a favor or not," - she said impatiently.

Varian sighed.

- "You will get on the ship to take me to Corona with me, when we are near Corona, you will help me escape, and we will save my father," - explained Varian.

- "Ha!" - Isabel could not think of another ironic way to laugh. - "What faith! Don't take it personally, but I am not going to take such a risk."

- "Do you want me to rot in Corona's dungeons for the rest of my life?" - Varian was offended.

- "You asked for it," - Isabel snapped.

Varian had to convince her, and get her where it hurts?

- "You should know better than anyone."- Varian feigned sadness. - "You lost your parents, too. You know that you would do anything to see them again, besides you're the only one who feels such agony because your sister can see them," - Isabel did not know how Varian had found out - "but not you, you can only listen to your sister as she talks to them. Is that fair? Wouldn't you do anything to get them back? Do you think I deserve that pain?"

Varian's words hurt Isabel as if a needle was embedded into her heart, each time inserting harder and harder.

- "ENOUGH!" - Isabel began to cry, and Varian hesitated for a moment, not because he thought that maybe it would not help him, but because he felt guilty for making her cry like this. - "I know it hurt you!" - Isabel whimpered. - "BUT GROW UP, WILL YOU?! Everything you've said hurt me, and you know what? I'm not going to help you!! Just look at your life, you disgusting criminal!! Rot in the dungeons you deserve it!!"

And she left there. Varian had never seen Isabel so angry since the last time she visited him. Then, he began to cry, his only destiny now was to rot in the dungeons of Corona. Rudiger moved away a little, to give him privacy, and that made Varian worse. Varian stayed there, tear after tear, not knowing what do the next day.