Not So Young Love

Young Link stared outside. His small body enabled him to curl up next to the window in the gardens, granting a great view of the sunset that was sure to happen in a few minutes.

The rest of the Smashers were eating dinner, enjoying the grand feast laid out for them. Zelda and Sheik were sure to notice he was gone, but Young Link couldn't bring himself to care at the moment.

He heaved a heavy sigh. He couldn't go to bed. Not yet. Ever since Termina, he shivered at the mere thought of laying his head down on a pillow. Nightmares of falling moons and demon masks plagued him despite Master and Crazy Hand's efforts to help him.

He trailed his finger along the window, creating meaningless swirls, clearing the cold fog. The sky was painted in purples and dark blues, and oranges and pinks, a dizzying array of colors.

It was Zelda's favorite time of day.

Not the spunky new Zelda, not the one disguised as Sheik (well, technically yes but his Zelda was mentally older and physically younger). His Zelda.

That brought a small smile to his face, and he closed his eyes in thought, imagining her smiling face and swishing dress.

"Gotcha!"

He shot up at the word, effectively startled. That voice sounded like-

"Z-Zel?"

She giggled. "Yep!" He stared, her head wrapped in a turban-like.... thing (he didn't know what it was but he never asked, so that one was still a mystery), a few strands of blonde hair escaping it's grasp.

She wore her usual dress, with her small belt wrapped around her waist. Her light blue eyes glistened as she walked towards him, reaching out with a bare hand to cup his cheek. He had other ideas though, and grabbed the appendage, pulling her into his lap.

"W- agh! L-Link!"

He grinned at her. "Yeah?" She stuck her tongue out at him playfully.

He furrowed his eyebrows. "How'd you sneak up on me?" She grinned back. "Remember my Sheikah training? Some of it is just tricks of the mind, so that didn't go away."

He nuzzled his nose against hers, making both of them blush and her giggle again. "Sly fox." She burrowed her head into the crook of his neck. "I love you, Link."

He laughed breathily, hugging her close. The sunset wasn't important anymore, he decided. He had something much more beautiful in his arms.

"I love you too, Zel."

He fell asleep with dreams of a young princess and a little boy clothed in green, teaching songs to each other on a blue ocarina and a golden harp.

edited october 11 2019