Love

Shane stayed in the bed with Ryan until he fell asleep, then made his way into the living room. He called into work saying he wasn't feeling well and that's why he wouldn't be coming back. In all honestly, he wasn't feeling well. He felt strange. He thought he'd feel weird staying at Ryan's place for so long, but he felt kind of...at home? He sat down on the couch, rubbing a hand through his hair. He liked Ryan's apartment, sure. It was nicely decorated, and clean most of the time. The bed was comfy. But it was more than that. It wasn't the house that made him feel at home. It was Ryan.

Ryan woke up from his nap mid afternoon, surprisingly nightmare free. He stumbled out into the living room tiredly, surprised to see Shane sitting in the couch watching TV. "Shane?"

"Mhm?" He paused his show, looking up at Ryan.

"Why're you still here? You didn't go back to work?" Ryan sat down next to him, draping the small blanket that usually sits on the couch across his own shoulders.

"Yeah, I thought I'd stay here. Take a sick day. Just in case you needed me." A warm, genuine smile came across his face. "Don't worry, before you say I didn't have to, I know I didn't. I wanted to."

Ryan nodded, a soft pink color beginning to overtake his face. He quickly hid it in the blankets. "Well...thank you." Shane nodded, going back to watching the TV in front of them. After a few minutes of silence, Ryan coughed awkwardly and spoke up. He paused the TV again. "Also...I wanted to ask you something."

"Go ahead, little man."

Ryan groaned at the nickname, but went on anyway. "It's, like, not important at all. You don't have to answer it if you don't want to. I was just wondering, trying to understand this whole...demon, thing, more. Do you like...date other demons?"

Shane let out a little laugh, unintentionally making Ryan feel a bit like an idiot. He saw he expression change on his face and was quick to correct it. "Sorry, sorry. I know you don't know it's just basic information to me.  No, we don't usually do that. I mean, I'm sure there were a couple cases here or there, but not a lot."

Ryan nodded. "So...do you guys just not, like, date people or anything?"

"We do sometimes, casually. But when a demon really loves a human, they start to become one. Aging and all that stuff. So we pretty much avoid it."

Ryan nodded again, chewing on his lip. "Aw dang, so you can't hook me up with any demon chicks. Good to know then. Thanks." He gave Shane a fake smile, than un paused the TV. He played it off okay, but inside, he felt sick to his stomach. He should have known he could never be with Shane. Probably wouldn't have happened even if he wasn't a demon.

Shane laughed at Ryan's remark, but he could see the seriousness behind his eyes. Did that really make Ryan upset? He couldn't believe it. He should have said something else. Something to help Ryan feel better, give him some hope. Something like he didn't mind aging if it meant getting to spend the rest of his life with the shorter man. But he didn't. He couldn't. So Shane just sat next to him, nervously shifting his weight around. Ecstatic and horrified at the realization that maybe, just maybe, he could finally find out what it feels like to be in love.