Chapter VI

It was a bad dream for Yoshi Hanasaki and Lightning McQueen. Francesco Bernoulli was on the media stage, gloating about his victory.

   "Francesco, over here!" the adoring reporters cried. "Hey, what was your strategy today?"
   "Strategia?" Francesco said as he smiled for the cameras. "Francesco needs-a no strategy, it's-a very simple: You start the race, wait for Yoshi Hanasaki to choke, pass him, then win. Francesco always-a wins, it's boring."
  "I gotta tell you, dude, you were in trouble for awhile," Darrell said. "That dirt track section had you crawlin'!"
  "To truly crush one's dream, you must first raise their hopes very high," Francesco said.
  Yoshi found her Lightning McQueen's pit. Mater finally seen arrived at Lightning's pit.

  Yoshi was on a side stage, doing a slow burn. Then he spotted Mater. The dented tow truck was looking around, confused.
  "Mater!" Yoshi shouted.
 "Hey, Hanasaki! What happened?" he asked. "Is the race over? You won, right?"
  "Mater, why were you yelling things at me while I was racing?!" Yoshi sputtered.
  Mater shrugged. "Yellin'? Oh, you thought... Oh! That's funny right there. Naw. See, that's 'cause I seen these two fellers doing some sort of karate street performance. It was nutso. One of 'em even had a flamethrower..."
  "A flamethrower?!" Yoshi exclaimed. "What are you talking about?! I - I don't understand. Where were you?"
  "Goin' to meet my date," Mater said, still not understanding what he'd done – until he saw the look on Yoshi's face.

  "Your date?!"
  "She started talkin' to me as a voice in my head, tellin' me where to go..."
  "What?!"
  "Wait a minute. I didn't screw you up, did I?"
  "I lost the race because of you!" Yoshi shouted angrily at his friend.
  "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..."
  "An imaginary girlfriend, flamethrowers?! You know, this is exactly why I don't bring you along to these things!"
  "Maybe if I... I dunno... talk to somebody, and explain what happened, I could help."
  "I don't need your help!" Yoshi snapped as the media began to pull him away for interviews. "I don't want your help!" 
    Mater was pushed backwards as the reporters swarmed Yoshi. He hovered for a few minutes while he listened to Storm, Cruz, Yoshi, Lightning, Jeff and Lewis talking to them.
  "Hey! There he is!"
  "Storm, Ramirez, Hamilton, Gorvette, McQueen, Hanasaki, you had it in the bag!"
  "Yeah, what happened?"
  "I - I made a mistake," Cruz said, "but I can assure you, it won't be happen again."
  "We have going tried in the next race in Porto Corsa," Yoshi said firmly.
  "It would happen again in the next in Porto Corsa," Lewis sighed.
  "I'm very mistake, I could been happen, I would be to the next race," Jackson said to Lewis.
  "Look, guys, we know what the problem is, and we've gonna taken care of it yourselves," Jeff said firmly.
    Mater was sure he was the mistake Yoshi was talking about. He decided there was only one thing to do. He would go back to Radiator Springs and let Yoshi race his own way.
   He didn't want to hurt his friend's chances of winning the next two races. On Lightning's pit monitor, the post-race continued.
  "To recap," Brent Mustangburger said, "Yoshi Hanasaki loses in the last lap to Francesco Bernoulli in the first race of the World Grand Prix. And three - count 'em - three cars flamed out leaving some to suggest that their fuel, Allinol, might to be blame."
 The cameras switched live to Sir Miles Alexrod. He was trying to defend new to the media.
  "Allinol is safe!" he insisted. "Alternative fuel is safe! There is no way my fuel caused these cars to flame out!"

  The announcer, Darrell Cartrip, looked doubtful. "Well, the jury may still be out on whether Allinol caused these accidents, but one thing's for sure: Yoshi Hanasaki blew this race."
  "Team Hanasaki can't be happy right now," Brent said.

  Mater saw the post-race show from a monitor at the Tokyo Haneda International Airport. Sadly, he headed towards the gates, knowing he'd let his best buddy down. Mater never noticed Grem and Acer following him. A security guard suddenly approached Mater.
  "Come with me, please, sir," Finn said, escorting Mater around a corner.
  "But I'm gonna miss my plane!" Mater protested.
   "Right this way."
  The security guard dropped his disguise. He was Finn McMissile.