Chapter 12 - Welcome to Williamsburg

Negan was not in the mood to be fucked with. He was not in the mood to deal with another bullshit obstacle between him and true freedom. All he wanted was to savor Aven's presence, but he couldn't possibly do that with the car surrounded by an armed group.

Still, it wasn't exactly the biggest threat. As Negan looked around he could see that this group of people that initially looked to be dressed in rags were actually wearing heavy layers of old Colonial garb. Some were even wearing powdered wigs. Their bows, Negan thought, weren't much of a threat at the moment, as the arrows couldn't perfectly pierce through the windows and hit either himself or Aven straight on, but not all of them were holding bows; some of them were holding muskets, which would do much more damage.

"If they don't fuckin' move I'm just gonna plow through 'em and we'll get the fuck out of here," Negan whispered irritably, placing his hands tensely back on the steering wheel. He and Aven were still catching their breath from the unexpected kiss they just shared, but the adrenaline was now pumping due to danger rather than lust. When it became clear the onlookers weren't moving, Negan revved the engine threateningly but no one moved. 

"Don't," Aven whispered. "Let's not go massacring people just yet. You've only been free for two days." Negan let out a frustrated sigh, practically a feral growl, before pulling himself together, changing his demeanor entirely, and cracking the window open just a few inches.

"Afternoon, officer!" he said in an overly cheery voice to the man nearest the window who seemed to be standing a little bit in front of the rest, probably the leader. He had on a white wig with a short pony tail in the back, old-fashioned breeches, and a navy blue coat over a white tunic, and there was an old sword hung on his hip. "What can I do for ya?"

"Good sir," the man began seriously and calmly, his musket pointed in Negan's face, "we wish you and your maiden no harm so long as you mean us none," the man replied. Maiden? Aven thought. Is he trying to sound like he's from the 1600s?

"Then how about you lower those fuckin' weapons?"

"We shall lower our weapons whence we are certain you are not a threat." Whence means where, not when, Aven thought. "If you and the madam will step out of the vehicle and keep your hands where we can see them, no harm shall come to you."

Negan glanced at Aven as if to say We can still get the fuck out of here. But at this point, it seemed to both of them that it was their best bet to play nice and leave peacefully, Aven was right; now wasn't exactly the time to start running people over, unless they gave them a reason to.

"Listen, I'm not letting the madam get out of the car if there's a possibility that she's gonna get a fuckin' arrow through the heart."

"That only becomes possible should she attempt to-"

"It's already fucking possible because you have weapons pointed at her. One finger slips and that's it. We're not here to stay. We wanted to see the place but not at the cost of our fuckin' heads and belongings." The man in front speaking was the first to lower his musket, though the people behind him kept theirs drawn. 

"Well truly, sir, we do not wish to see you go. Afterall, you traveled all the way here to see the birthplace of America and we would be remiss to deprive you of such history." The birthplace of America? Aven thought. That's not really true. "We shall lower our weapons, but should either of you so much as blink at any of my good people in offense, we shan't hesitate to kill you. Otherwise, we shan't touch your belongings so long as you show us respect."

"Av, what do you think?" Negan asked in a whisper, though the man outside heard as well.

"You are under no obligation to stay, but if you'd like we have a spare home you can use and a few ammenities before you go back on the road. It appears you could both use a bath, a good meal. You can even drive your vehicle right over to the house and keep it under your watch."