Chapter 6

Sophie's POV

After I helped Frypan cook breakfast there was nothing else for me to do, so I went go see Newt and Thomas again at the gardens

" But why would Alby go into the Maze I mean-he is not a runner," Thomas said.

" Things are different now Alby went to go and retrace Ben's footsteps before sundown. Look are you going to help?" Newt asked.

" So.. he is going back to the place where Ben had been stung," Thomas said.

" Look alby knows what he is doing, all right," 

" He knows better than any of us?"

" What does that mean ?" Thomas asked

" Its like you have heard ,yeah? every month the box sends up a new arrival but someone had to spend a whole month in the glade alone. That was Alby," Newt said.

" I mean it can't have been easy But when those other boys started coming up one after another and he learned the most important thing is that we all have each other , Because we are all here together," Newt said.

" Yeah," Thomas said.

****

We were all waiting in the rain for Minho and Alby to come back.

" They should be back by now," Thomas said.

"What happens if they don't make it," Thomas said.

" They are going to make it," Newt stated.

"What happens if they don't make it," He repeated.

"They are going to make it," Newt said again.I interlocked mine and Thomas's hands and gave him a comforting smile.

"Come on guys can't we send someone in after them?" Thomas said.

" That is against the rules Either they make it back or they don't we can't risk loosing anyone else," Gally said.

" If no one is gonna go after them I will Just let me go and see if they are okay," I said.

" No one is leaving especially not you. you don't know your way around the maze. you would die," Newt said Thomas couldn't have said it better.

" I wouldn't be able to handle if Minho got hurt Newt- please-" I said but Newt cutoff me.

" Sophie you are not going in the maze what don't you get," Newt snapped at me.

" Oh no," Chuck cried.

" There," Thomas said loudly

" Thank god," I said.

" Oh shit, wait something is wrong," I said and everyone started screaming for them.

Suddenly Thomas sprinted in the maze, " Thomas,no" Chuck yelled.

" Thomas!" I screamed I was about to run after him until Newt pulled me back,"Let me go!" I screamed as tears strained.

" Let me go," I screamed at Newt, "Let me... Let me go..." I screamed as tears ran down my cheeks.When the doors shut my hearts split into pieces. " They are not going to survive," I said as I slid down the wall.

***

I slept by the maze walls all night.When the doors opened in the morning,Sophie was the first one to step foot in the waiting room.

" I told you Chuck," Newt said.

" No This can't be they can't be gone," I said until I caught a glimpse of three figures my eyes widened.

" No way," Chuck said.

" I can't believe this," I whispered and bit my lip.

When they got to the glade opening a quickly pulled Minho in a hug. 

" I am so glad that you are okay," I said.

" I missed you Shank," Minho said.

" I missed you too," I said and I turned to Thomas folding my arms.

" What they hell were you thinking?" I said and before he could speak I gave wrapped my arms around him and I put my head in the crook of his neck.

" What happened out there," I said.

" You saw a griever," Chuck said.

" Yeah I saw one," He said.

" He didn't just see it he it, he killed it," Minho said. 

***

" Things are changing There is no denying that first Ben got stung in broad daylight and then Alby,"Gally said ," And now our Greenie here has taken it upon himself to go into the maze Which is a clear violation of our rules here."

" Yeah... but her saved Alby's life,"

I couldn't agree more.

" Did he?For 3 years we have coexisted with these things and now you have killed one of them who knows what that could mean for us ,"  Gally said.

"What do you suggest we do," Newt said.

" He has to be punished," Gally said. I stood up.

" Gally I know that you don't want to do that, Okay you're not that type of person. Please don't do this," I said.

" Minho you were there with him what do you suggest," Newt asked.

" I think that in all that time we have been here no one has ever killed a grieve before when I turned the tail and ran this dumb shank stayed behind and helped Alby. look I don't know if he's brave or stupid but whatever it is we need more of it  say we make him a runner,"  He said.

" If you want to throw the newbie parade that is fine go ahead but if there is one thing I know about the maze is that you do not-"

Suddenly a siren went off in the Glade signalling that the box was arriving. we all went outside and stood around the box  Newt jumped down there.

" Newt what do you see," 

" It's a girl," Newt said.

" I think she is dead," He said.

" What is in her hand," Gally said.

" She's the last one ever," Newt read out," What the bloody hell does that mean,"

Suddenly she gasped for air and her eyes met mine. Oh my go the brunette in my dreams.

" Sophie," She said her chest exhaling harshly.

Then her eyes met Thomas' ," Thomas" she said.

" Terry?" I whispered wide-eyed. Gally folded his eyes and narrowed his eyes at me and Thomas . " Do you still think I am overreacting?"