Part 22 - Sleep

While you sleep, the brain processes emotions and experiences and stores them as memories. Meanwhile, the body removes waste products from the brain, repairs muscle damage and supplies nutrition to the 23 vertebral discs in the spine (which is why we are taller in the morning than after a hard day standing upright).

https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spine-anatomy/spinal-discs

Irregular sleep hours cause a change in brain chemicals often leading to depression and a decline in memory and judgement. Lack of sleep prevents your body from properly regulating your metabolism, immune system and body weight. Being sleep deprived for just one night can increase your emotional response to negative feelings by 60% .

Serotonin (the happiness hormone) is also responsible for stimulating the parts of the brain that control sleep and waking. Whether you sleep or wake depends on what area is stimulated and which serotonin receptor is used.

Research at several U.S. universities found that sleep deprivation may be linked to high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, chronic pain and mental illness, including psychosis and bipolar disorder, as the brain becomes incapable of correctly assessing an emotional event, or of making a rational response. The brains needs sleep to turn off neurotransmitters, permitting receptors to regain sensitivity, which improves regulation of mood and learning ability and also the release of growth hormones.

Sleeping pills may be an effective short-term treatment for relief during a period grief or high stress but they may not be the best long-term solution. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is probably the better treatment if you are worried about becoming dependent on sleep medications.

Caution; If you have a serious problem consult your doctor. Insomnia is unlikely to get better without treatment.

Hours of sleep for good health.

Babies 0–3 months 14–17 hours

children 4–11 months 12–15 hours

1–2 years 11–14 hours

3–5 years 10–13 hours

6–13 years 9–11 hours

Teenagers 14–17 years 8–10 hours

Adults 18–64 years 7–9 hours

Over 65 7–8 hours

A good nights sleep depends on how long it takes to fall asleep, how often you wake up and how rested you feel the next day. Your circadian rhythm, or internal clock, may be disrupted by not sleeping long enough, sleeping at odd times of the day or exposure to bright light at night.

What to do?

Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) takes persistence to make it work. In some cases, a combination of sleep medication and CBT may be the best approach. But you will probably have lasting results with CBT.

Use a comfortable mattress and pillow and use a small pillow or cushion between your knees when sleeping on your side.

If you have an acid reflux problem, you might try sleeping on a large wedge shaped cushion so that your shoulders are higher than your hips. Liquid antacids like Gaviscon or Pepto-Bismol are quick acting and may help you get a good night's sleep but if you need to use these frequently consult a physician in case there is a more serious problem.

Keep your bedroom quiet, dark and cool and hide clocks from view. Use the bedroom only for sleeping or sex.

Do not watch TV or videos, or work or play with a phone or computer. Move any devices to another area so that you are not tempted.

Eliminate negative thoughts and worries that keep you awake. Wind down an hour or two before bedtime with relaxing activities. Avoid exciting videos, TV programs and computer games.

Use relaxation, breathing and meditation techniques to calm your mind and body. You might also notice a slower heart rate and less muscle tension.

Set a consistent bedtime and wake time and avoid naps. Leave the bedroom if you can't go to sleep within 20 minutes, only returning when you feel sleepy. Lying in bed when you're awake can become a habit that leads to partial sleep deprivation making you more tired the next night. Once your sleep has improved, you may increase the amount of time in bed.

Paradoxically, worrying that you can't sleep can actually keep you awake. Letting go of this worry can help you relax and make it easier to fall asleep.

Stop drinking anything containing caffein. It is a diuretic (like alcohol) which quickly increases the rate of urine production, by the kidneys, forcing you to wake in the middle of the night.

Caffein is found naturally in coffee and many teas but it is also added to many soft drinks, sometimes in large amounts. Check the label on the can. Caffein does not provides energy. It just keep you awake or disrupts your sleep pattern. If you find it difficult to stop, reduce the amount of caffein and avoid consuming it after about 6 pm.

Stop consuming nicotine (from tobacco smoke etc) or at least avoid smoking in the evenings.

Stop drinking alcohol (beer, wine or liquor) late in the day. It may make you feel sleepy initially but it will wake you up and keep you awake later.

Get enough regular exercise to make you feel tired.

Check you meds. Some medications, including over-the-counter medications, can contribute to insomnia. Most prescription drugs have side effect. Some of these may include insomnia. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if there is an alternative.

Avoid eating and drinking any beverage late in the evening especially if you need to wake up to urinate.

Look for a Sleep Clinic in your area. Your doctor should be able to advise.

At Work

Sleep deprivation can adversely affect performance and has caused many fatalities. One in every five serious motor vehicle injuries is related to driver fatigue, with 80,000 drivers falling asleep behind the wheel every day (in the USA) and 250,000 accidents every year related to sleep. If you are tired pull off the road and take a 15- or 20 minute nap.

Sleep deprivation caused by irregular work hours, is also a serious problem. A 2004 study found physician residents with less than four hours of sleep a night made more than twice as many errors as residents who slept for more than seven hours a night.

The common practice of turn-around shifts in the airline industry caused sleep deprivation and contributed to all air traffic control incidents (in 2010 there were 10 incidents of controllers falling asleep on duty). The FAA reviewed its procedures to ensure that pilots and air traffic controllers are sufficiently rested.

Jet lag caused by moving to another time zone can also cause problems. When possible, adjust your sleep patterns before travelling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_deprivation

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/insomnia/in-depth/insomnia-treatment/art-20046

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/17-tips-to-sleep-better