12 : Mysterious Trapdoor

The trapdoor behind us fell and clicked shut. We were plunged into inky darkness, and every step we took caused a rippling echo of faint water splashing. I grimaced and strained to see what we were stepping in, but to no avail.

"Ewww... gross!" Nota cried what all of us were thinking. A scaled body bumped in to me, and my brother yelped.

"You're stepping on my tail, wormbrain!" Deltul growled.

"Sorry!" Kintes huffed.

I slowly exhaled, letting a smooth fire drip through my teeth. It wasn't enough light on its own. Kintes, Nota, and Deltul copied, and their own fires combined allowed us to see better.

"Hair do hou hink he har?" My brother exhaled through his fire breath. A light faded, as Nota shut her mouth to speak.

"No one can understand you, eggling." She raised her brows and smirked.

"I said 'where do you think we are', know-it-all." He loudly repeated. "I mean, I didn't know where we were before we jumped into the mysterious trapdoor, but now I'm totally lost. A dream world place kind of made sense, but I don't even know what we're stepping in now!"

"I think it's just water." I offered. Kintes also shut his mouth and all light faded for a moment, before Nota and Deltul stopped bickering and continued to light the way.

Do you really think it's just water? He mouthed to me.

I grinned and mouthed back I haven't the slightest clue.

We both joined our fires with the group, trying to get a sense of what we were in. A cave? A large room?

It was a frustrating mystery, until someone lowered their fire slightly and accidentally ignited the apparently flammable liquid we were all standing in.