Chpt 31: Infiltration

A few Hours earlier…

Mario and Luigi walked into the castle. The guard directed them on which way to go to meet Peach and the others.

“Thank you, sir”, Said Mario.

Once they were gone inside, the guard closed the door. After a short while the young guard walked back down to talk to his other colleague who was keeping watch. “You showed them the way boy?”, the old guard asked

“Yes sir. By the way who are those guys anyway?”

“Friends of the princess. No need to pay too much attention to that”

“Whatever you say”

The two resumed their duties. About fifteen minutes later, another guard official approached them. Both men lined up, raising their hands to their head, army style, “Sir!”

The guard official shook his head, “It’s alright men, stand down. I’m only here to inform you that you’ll be changing shifts with another pair. They’ll be here in a short while, you two follow me”

“Yes sir”

The guard official started walking, followed by the two men trailing close behind. They walked through the courtyard and the corridors for a while before they finally reached one of the doors that lead to the underground passageways. Once inside, the three men continued down a couple of stairs till they were met with another passageway.

This carried on for awhile till finally, they reached the bottom where the castle hid the vault. The guard official explained how since there hadn’t been any break-ins for a while, that it was best to focus their man power on protecting and watching over the outside of the castle. Many other guards were stationed nearby, but not many of them to pose a threat.

Once he finished, he wished them good fortune in their duties, and walked away. The two guards took their positions. The young man wasn’t expecting anything to happen, but he knew it wasn’t a good idea to let his guard down. He looked over at the old man who was busying reading a small book.

The young man leaned over, “What do you got there?”

“A book boy, these nights are long and silent, have to keep ourselves focused and awake”

“In my experience a book is more likely to put you to sleep”

He scoffed, “I’m old enough to do what I want, and no one can tell me otherwise”

“Okay Okay”

“You should find some way to keep yourself awake. Can’t stand like a statue the whole night”

“Don’t worry about me, I can handle myself”

“Don’t get cocky”

“Don’t worry, I can handle myself- “

Before he could finish, a sharp pain struck him on the back of his neck. He raised his hand to the spot where it hurt, and felt a large needle stuck there. He pulled it out, and soon after, he was beginning to feel light headed. He looked up at his colleague and noticed that he was also beginning to lose his senses. Then a few seconds later, the old man collapsed.

“W-what the hell…”, he tried to call out for help, but he didn’t have the strength to speak, much less stand up. He lost the strength in his knees and collapsed. His eyelids got heavier, but before he could fall asleep, he heard footsteps coming from the passageway behind him. He turned his head as far as he could go. Just before he could lose consciousness, he saw two big monsters, accompanied by another person. A woman, her face was covered. Slimmer, with average height, completely clad in black.