Episode 20

Don't Call Me Shurley

Sam: Dude, quit ironing my shirts with beer!

Chuck: I did some great stuff as Chuck. I mean, I-I told you about my blog.

Metatron: Oh. Oh, right, yeah. Your, uh. Your cat-pic blog.

Chuck: Yeah. They're super cute. So there's that. And I traveled, a lot, you know. And, uh, I dated. Yeah, I had some girlfriends. Had a few boyfriends. Oh! And I learned how to play guitar.

Metatron: You invented souls! Souls! Try shining a light on that. How did that make you feel?

Chuck: Nauseous.

Metatron: You know what? No. That is not G-O-D talking. That's Chuck talking. And I get it, when you were on Earth, you had to go full method. Well, it's time for you to get back into character.

Chuck: I was stupid. Naive. I thought if I could show my sister that there was something more than just us, something better than us, then maybe she'd change. Maybe she'd stop... being... her. But... every time I'd build a new world... she'd destroy it.

Deputy Harris: It's not an infection. She says it's a mirror. She's showing us all the truth.

Dean: Darkness.

Deputy Harris: The light was just a lie. It will all be over soon. He's not gonna save them. It's all going away... forever. But not you Dean.

Chuck: You know I love those guys, but the world would still be spinning with demon Dean in it. But Sam couldn't have that, though, could he? And so how is Amara being out on me?

Metatron: It's not. But you helped the Winchesters before.

Chuck: Helped them? I've saved them! I've rebuilt Castiel more times than I can remember. Look where that got me.

Metatron: So you're just gonna let Amara win?

Chuck: Eh, it's her time to shine.

Metatron: You know, I was a crappy, terrible god. My work was pretty much a lame, half-assed rewrite of your greatest hits. But at least I was never a coward. There he is. That's the guy I know, the guy I love. I remember the first time I saw you. All the angels were terrified, but I wasn't. The feeling of your light was... was just beyond measure. And then the unthinkable. You picked me to help you with your tablets.

Chuck: You were just the closest angel to the door when I walked into the room. There's nothing special about you, Metatron. Not then... not now. Now... I've been called many things -- absentee father, wrathful monster. But, coward... I am not hiding. I am just done watching my experiments' failures.

Metatron: You mean your failures, Chuck.

Metatron: You want to write the best-selling autobiography of all time, you explain to me -- tell me why you abandoned me. Us.

Chuck: Because you disappointed me. You all disappointed me.

Metatron: No, look. I know I'm a disappointment, but you're wrong about humanity. They are your greatest creation because they're better than you are. Yeah, sure, they're weak and they cheat and steal and... destroy and disappoint. But they also give and create and they sing and dance and love. And above all, they never give up. But you do.

Sam: We're not gonna make it.

Dean: No, no, no. There's no quittin' here.

Sam: We're never gonna make it.

Dean: Sam, listen to me. That's not you talking, it's the fog.

Sam: You were gonna choose Amara over me. Over everything.

Dean: Sam, No!

Sam: Look, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that, Dean. I can't fight this, you gotta go. You got to get out before you get infected. Go before I hurt you!

Dean: No. I'm not leaving you, ever! Stop this! You hear me, you dick?

Chuck: We should probably talk.

Metatron: God... You've come back. I can't believe you've come back. I-I didn't mean what I said about Supernatural. It's underrated, due for a reboot. And this bar, it's not crappy at all. It's just like the one in Cheers. Everybody knows my name. And the lights are very forgiving-

Metatron: So whatcha been up to?

Chuck: Oh, I've been super busy. Yeah, I traveled. I started a blog. Mostly just pictures of cats. They're so cute. And, uh, Oh, I signed up for Snapchat! And I started a new series of books. Revolution. But I don't think it's going anywhere.

Chuck: You know what humanity's greatest creation has been? Music. That and nacho cheese. Even I could have dreamt up that deliciousness. But music... is magic. A lot of remarkable music was created in this space. B.G.'s Canteen. Now it's not as well known as the Bitter End or the Gaslight, but some amazing musicians got their start on this stage. I'm hoping that you and I can tap into some of that old magic and finish what I started a few months ago.

Metatron: I'll tell you, there's some great bones in there. I'm thinking what's missing -- maybe less about detail and more about balance.

Chuck: How do you mean?

Metatron: You're giving the wrong stuff too much real estate. Like that chapter about being Chuck.

Chuck: Mmhm. And what about it?

Metatron: Once you've explained the Vonnegut performance art... That should be it. No one cares about the rest.