Twenty-Four

Recap:

"So...is it true?" I ask and I feel him shift, looking at me through the soft glow of the moon coming through the curtain. I turn my gaze onto his for some reason, feeling the need to do so.

Propping himself up on his elbows, laying on his stomach and mirroring my position, he looks at me. I can see his face illuminated by the gentle light cast over his skin, and I can't help but think it makes him look even more beautiful than he usually does.

He just sighs.

"Every word of it."

"Oh my God," I breathe out. My heart is all over the place, my lungs aren't quite working properly, and I feel like I could either scream or cry from all of the emotions that are flooding through my head.

"I know, if you're at all creeped out, I can, you know, get out of your bed," he says nervously and I smile a little because he's still worrying about me even though his heart just got bared.

"Wh-what about you and N-Nick?"

"What about us?"

"Are you s-still together?"

"Um, we haven't discussed it, but I'm not in his bed right now, am I? He kind of...we had a brief discussion earlier today while you were asleep, and it seems like we came to the mutual decision to end the relationship.

It hadn't been working in a long time. We were both just desperately holding on to something that wasn't good for us, so I think we'll actually be able to maintain a friendship," he tells me and I can't believe what I'm hearing.

They actually broke up.

Harry actually likes me.

Harry never lost his feelings for me.

Am I dreaming again?

"I n-never thought you two w-would break up," I admit, my voice still a hushed whisper because Nick and Zayn are sleeping, and if I were to speak any louder I would not only wake them up again, but I would most probably start crying or something.

"Me either. But then again, I knew we wouldn't last," he says casually, piquing my interest.

"What? How?"

One of his hands moves and gently caresses my face, the back of his fingers trailing down from my cheekbone to my jaw.

"Because I have been in love with you from the beginning," he tells me and my breath escapes me once more, leaving me nearly gasping for air as my heart desperately attempts to beat at a regular rhythm.

"W-What do you mean, 'b-beginning'?"

"Okay, not when you moved here beginning, even though I knew I had finally found my own best friend when I saw you that first time, but...do you remember your twelfth birthday party? You were reading and the world around you completely fell away.

You didn't even notice that Louis and Nick were throwing popcorn around the room and yelling so loudly I swore your mum would wake up.You just...kept on reading. Nothing phased you.

I watched your concentration with wild fascination, and suddenly thought, "I wonder what it would be like if I was the object of his focus?"

I pushed the thought aside, but soon you were starting to fall asleep, so I told you to sleep on my lap. You fell asleep as my hand was going through your hair, and I couldn't keep myself from staring at you.

God, I thought you were so beautiful, and I wanted to hold you every day. Nick saw me watching you, and ended up asking me about it. That's actually when he found out about my feelings, but I think he may have forgotten about it, because he was surprised when I told him about them later on.