Thirty-Three

July

A month after graduation, by the start of July, Harry and I were moved into our own flat. Or, as it's known in America, apartment. My label purchased a flat for me to live in, and they had no qualms about Harry joining me in it, which the both of us appreciated. I know neither of us fancied the idea of not living together.

Standing in the center of our living room, looking out the windows over the New York City skyline, I sigh and feel arms wrap around me from behind not a moment later. I lean into his chest, his hands clasping in front of my stomach as he holds me against him.

"What's wrong, darling?" He asks softly.

"I just...I miss them," I whisper, fearing I may start crying.

"I know, baby, but we'll be back in September for your birthday, and then for Christmas, so you'll see them there at least two more times before the year is up; plus, they'll be coming to visit for Thanksgiving in November, so that's another time," he offers, trying to make me feel better. It kind of helps, but it also doesn't. I've never been separated from my family for so long before

"It's not the same," I tell him, my eyes beginning to water.

"I know...I know it isn't, and I'm so sorry, but you have me here for as long as you'll have me."

"Did we make a mistake?" I ask quietly, suddenly second guessing myself.

"What do you mean?" He asks me, his hands unclasping and resting on my hips instead, his thumbs gently rubbing where they rest.

"Moving here, was this all a mistake?" I ask meekly, almost fearing the answer.

"Love," he sighs, turning me around in his arms, "This was not a mistake. It's just difficult because we miss them. But like I said, we'll see them in no time. Plus, we can call them daily, we can Skype, and we can keep in touch with them frequently. I know you're scared, because I'm scared, too. But, we have each other, and together we can get through it. You know that," he says softly, his lips pressed against the side of my head as he speaks.

I bury my face in his chest, wrapping my arms around his waist tightly - never wanting to let go.

"Forever," I whisper, "I want you around forever."

"Are you sure? I mean, I'm not sure even I would want myself around forever," he teases and I can't help but smack him on the chest, smiling lightly as he immediately lightens the mood with his stupid jokes.

"Oi, shut up. I love you and you know it," I tell him and look up at him to see him smiling down at me already.

"I do know it. What do you say we break in our new bed," he says suggestively, raising one eyebrow and winking at me. I feel my cheeks heat up in response, but bite my bottom lip.

"I'd say that's a fantastic idea," I answer, flirting back, and he takes my hand, leading me to our new bedroom to spend the night getting used to New York.

~~~

September

"Ni!" They all shout as soon as they see Harry and I stepping off of the plane. Since moving to New York, I've begun working on my first album. For the trip here, the label set Harry and I up with first class tickets back to London for my birthday.

I drop my bag and run forward, jumping into Zayn and Nick's arms first, before Liam and Louis and Dustin all join in on the hug. I turn around and see Harry in the mix as well, and can't help but feel awful for having left our people. Being apart from them these past few months has been unbearably painful.