Old Memories, New Beginnings

Just so you know, when the words are in italics, they're talking in their minds.

The sun was starting to set when they reached Arya's quarters. The evening light played upon her dazzling features, showing her off in a way only nature could. She wore a broad grin, a gesture Eragon easily reciprocated.

"Why didn't you tell me you were coming?" Her grin disappeared. "I could've made preparations."

"I thought you would enjoy the surprise. Did you?"

"Of course I did, Eragon. I've missed you so much. "

" I've missed you too, Arya, more than anyone else. You wondered years ago if I would still have feelings for you, and I do. I care for you much more than anyone else. I..... I love you." Eragon didn't know how she would respond, but he knew that he had to tell her.

"Eragon.... I care for you too. The years apart from you have been some of the toughest, not because of war, but because of longing. I didn't think I would miss you so much. I thought that the day you'd return would never come. I am so glad it did."

" Arya, do you.....have feelings for me too? "

A long moment of silence followed. It started to become unbearable for Eragon, so he opened his mouth to speak. Before he could say anything, Arya spoke with her mind

" I do, Eragon. "

Eragon was overjoyed. It showed too, he almost knocked over his chair. " Would you like to walk?" Eragon asked

With a nod, she stood up. Eragon did the same, and followed her down a path.

For awhile they said nothing, just enjoying each other's company. They passed many animals and plants, their beauty reminding him of his love for Du Weldenvarden.

Sometime during the walk Arya's hand slipped into his own. His mind went to the memory of the day Arya revealed Fírnen, the day they learned each other's true name. Both discovered the true extent of their feelings for each other that day.

His thoughts were interrupted by a loud commotion. The crunch of footsteps on the stiff fall leaves was barely noticeable, but, being elves, Eragon and Arya heard the noise.

"Do you think we need to investigate the noise?" Eragon questioned Arya.

She hesitated for a moment as the cacophony resumed. Her answer was a quick jerk of the head.

They took off in the direction the noises, an attempt to sneak up on the possible threat. Although the trees hid Eragon and Arya from sight, it did the same for the intruder. In order to gain the advantage, Eragon smoothly climbed up the tree. Arya also scaled a nearby tree, though hers was much smaller.

Arya looked at Eragon, waiting for him to look back. When he did, she pointed to her ears, signaling for him to listen. Eragon tiptoed to the edge of a branch, far as he could go. Moving his head, ear first, he strained to listen for what Arya had apparently heard. Moments of silence passed.

*Cheeeeeep* A high pitched squealing sound startled Eragon. It was followed by a low purring noise, much like a werecat's purr. Eragon looked around and around looking for the source. He gave Arya a questioning look and asked "Where is the purring coming from?" She pointed at a area of brush below, where nearby there was an section of flowers.

Eragon stretched and stretched his head until he felt he was as far as he could extend on the tree branch. Balancing on the tips of his toes, he careened to the right, still straining to capture a glimpse of the creator of the said noise. His muscles started to quiver, ever so slightly gaining in intensity, until he was certain he would plummet to the ground. Eragon attempted to inch backwards, to prevent the fall, but ere he made it to safety, a sneeze gathered in his nose.

Panic welled inside Eragon; this was going to be painful. "Uh, uh, uh, achooooooo!" The branch lurched back and forth, back and forth. Languidly swinging, the branch became still once more. With a sigh of relief, Eragon shifted just a bit forward, hoping to get closer but not to fall off.

"Eragon, are you well again?"

" I'm fine now, thank you. "

Realizing they were still on the lookout, he searched once more for the source of the noise. He switched from left to right, but found nothing out of the ordinary; in fact, everything seemed to be 'in place'. Eragon started to relax, not quite so occupied by the noise anymore, but captivated by the beauty of the day. And, of course, the fairness of the one he so loved.

"ERAGON! BEHIND YOU!" A shout rang from Arya's mind.

Just as Eragon started to turn, he was blindsided by something dark, furry, and very heavy. They started to free fall, a distance of around 25 feet.

Eragon swooped past nests, plants, flowers, and other things belonging to nature as he continued to dive. It wouldn't be long before he hit the end, anticipated but unwelcome.

Reaching out, Eragon stretched his fingers, trying to grasp anything that he could hold on to. Rough twigs and leaves barely missed his hand.

CRUNCH! He hit the bottom, landing on a rough and solid article. Darkness overcame Eragon as his head came in contact with a particularly pointy something.

___________________________

Hey everyone! I'm really sorry about the time it took to update this story. Basketball season started right after the last update, and since it's something I take very seriously, I didn't have much time to do anything besides basketball and homework.

I hope the new chapter is satisfactory and that you guys like it! I've had part of it written for a while, but I could never quite figure out where I wanted to take it. I'm fairly happy with how it turned out, but I hope the next chapter is better.

Be expecting more chapters soon and please keep reading!👋😉