Stem 12: The Boy, Part 4

Putting his hands into his pockets, Nahum de'Navra yawned. "You know, it's been fun causing a wreck in this city, especially in the name of 'defending it' from these weird pests." 

     Crossing her arms, Iona looked around a four-way intersection, cars flipped over and fire-hydrants leaking. 

      "It's up to us to fight these 'Flower Children', I get that. Even if they keep coming back, we'll keep putting them down, but good lord! Whatever happened to surrendering with style?" 

     "Surrendering... with style? Hard to surrender when you can never die, Nahum." A gritty voice emanated from a man in a fluffy, brown coat. 

     "Wow, don't you look like a million bucks! And what would be your name, my good sir?" 

     "Ah, thank you, thank you, and... Baron. Baron Wildos." 

     "Ah, that's quite the name you have there. Yes, I'm sure you must get all the ladies with that one." 

     A green, thorny rod fell launched, right by Nahum's foot. 

     "Oh, sorry, maybe the ladies aren't what counts in life, right? Just the Armani jackets themselves." 

     "You- I never thought I'd be so lucky to fight a de'Navra one-on-one." 

     Nahum rolled his eyes over to Iona. "Well, unfortunately for you, it's never going to be quite one-on-one, now is it? I got my sister here." 

     "But you know by now, don't you? The Flower Children can't die. So long as grass exists, the seeds from my hands can repollenate my body back into its incarnation once more. I will germinate everywhere- If I haven't already! I don't think you've fully come to realize who you're dealing with." 

     "Hm? No, you're right, I haven't. However, I'm having such a fun time. You see, I've... lost so much. So many people. Being a de'Navra might be classy to anyone on the outside, but if you're one of us... then you know there's nothing 'casual', or funny, about hailing from where we're from. Isn't that right, Temuri?" 

     "Huh?" Baron stepped back. 

     Flipping from behind Iona, a third person -- skin as tan as cinnamon -- landed next to Nahum. 

     "So, this is what we're fighting against, huh? And, wait a minute. Did you just justify your futile fight against him as essentially just a way to blow off steam?" Temuri ran a hand through his hair. "You know- How it's pointless and all, but you wanna relieve your sad angstiness out on this poor dude?" 

      "I like to wear my emotions on my sleeve, Temuri. Always have." Nahum cleared his throat. 

      Temuri shook his head, holding an arm out towards Baron. "Except for that one time you split yourself into two whole personalities. Yeah, that was fun." 

      "Oh, can't we just let bygones be bygones?" 

      "Sure, but, eh, I kinda thought that other Nahum was a cute, little brat sometimes." 

      Nahum pushed his glasses up his nose. "Of course you did." 

      "Are you all just gonna banter, or will you uselessly attack me once more?" Baron gritted his teeth, stepping closer, as more buildings began collapsing around them. 

      Iona chuckled. "Well, I don't know where you came from, but everyone has a weakness. Fire, perhaps?" Walking closer, she held a spear of flames between her fingers. 

     "Nonsense! Burn me, and I'll just seep back into the ground, only to return elsewhere as my dusty, fertilizing remains sprout back into myself once more! The DNA can't be lost, and will replicate into its former glory. Besides, I fear there's going to be another battle that will ensue. Recently, a woman from another clan -- a clan of our species -- has become quite a threat." 

     Iona tilted her head. "Come again? A human woman? What, are you afraid of a little 'girl-power'?" 

     Baron crossed his arms. "That boy, Maximus D. Kaline, has been targeted by a dangerously powerful Flower Child. Natalie Carwell of the Carnations."