Chapter Twenty-Eight; The End

CHRIS'S POV

It doesn't even matter to me that I'm being shipped home before Peyton is today. Somehow I managed to get Coronal Short to let me stay at the hospital until Peyton was well. We had a great Christmas together, even though we couldn't get each other any gifts. This isn't exactly the best place to shop for gifts.

As I say goodbye to Peyton, not for the last time, but as I say goodbye to her, she smiles at me with that warm smile that I have loved since the very first time I lay eyes on her.

"I'll see you soon, baby. I promise" I say, kissing her forehead. She hugs me, and then pulls me towards her and makes me kiss her lips. I guess makes me kiss her sounds hostile, but I enjoy it. She's got the softest, warmest lips I've ever had the pleasure of meeting with.

"I love you" She tells me.

"I love you too" I tell her. I give her one last hug before stepping into the chopper and waving at the 8068th. We lift off up into the air. Home bound.

After only about two months, Cease Fire is called on the war. We're going home, and I've lost too many people. Too many people I've been close to have died. Jake was one of them. I can't imagine how his Grandpa Max is going to take the news.

I manage to fall asleep on the ride home, and when we finally reach the airport in Toronto, I don't see Beck's truck waiting for me. Instead there's a taxi .

Luke Bridges helps me get my small bag out of the chopper, and holds his hand up to his forehead.

"It's been great knowing you Chris, and I'm sorry about Jake." He says, and I salute him. I shake my head and smile at him.

"It's alright Luke. Sometimes you lose people you care about for a reason. Though I don't know what that reason is, I'm sure it happened for a reason."

I give him a hug, and thank him for doing everything that he's done for me and the rest of the boys.

"Good luck Luke. I'll hopefully see you sometime in the future" I say, picking up my bag and walking over to the taxi.

I haven't even told Beck that I'm coming home. Hopefully he has read the newspaper or seen the news lately, that way he'll have some idea of when his nephew is coming home. I just hope he's proud of me.

*****

Back at the house, Beck sits on the porch, rocking chair under him, beer in his hand. He looks puzzled when I step out of the taxi, but a smile forms on his face. He stands up, puts his beer down, and opens his arms. I'm practically running over to him. My uniform is clean, and the ring that he gave me still sits on my finger, shining gold.

"Chris, what the hell are you doing here? Desertion is illegal you know" He says. I nod my head and hug him a little tighter, choking him a tiny bit. I laugh and let go of him.

"Yeah I know it is, so it's a good thing that the war is over" I tell him. He smiles brightly and looks down at me.

"So, you're officially a soldier with an honorable discharge?" He asks. I nod.

"I'm home to stay, Beck." He hugs me again and takes my bag from me. We walk into the house, and I look around. Nothing has changed, everything is still where it always has been and probably always will be. Though, when you walk into your house you can always smell it, it's your house smell. I know it sounds weird but it's true. Right now it's the best smell in the world, coming home feels good.

I go straight up to my room and crash down on my bed. I shut my eyes for a moment before I realize there's one person I haven't said hello to.

I run down to the stable and see Charlie in his stall, waiting for me. I go straight over to him and hug him, and then saddle up. I take off with him through the forest, and I feel the wind ripple through my hair. And I truly feel at home. This is where I'm suppose to be.