05. Long Roads

paradise doesn't last long

For the next month, the two stayed at the ranch. They cared for the horses and zombies didn't really come around it much. Theo decided to teach Liam how to shoot a gun right before they left.

The beta didn't like guns mostly because he's been shot also because he's never and doesn't know how to use one. But Theo said he needed to learn because they couldn't just use their claws all the time. They were too close to the zombies then and would get bit or would be seen by someone nearby.

Not that being seen by other people really mattered. It didn't all that much but they didn't know how people would react to their... unique qualities. They could get shot on sight by someone if they were seen in their beta form.

So here Liam was standing at the white picket fence a gun loosely being held in his hand. Theo was putting cans on a table about ten feet away. Once the chimera was done he walked back over to Liam standing beside him.

"Alright hold the gun up with two hands," Theo said pulling his own gun out and aiming toward the cans to show Liam what he was supposed to do. Liam looked over and tried to mimic his actions. "Make sure you're holding it like this," Theo said showing the boy how to actually hold the gun. Liam nodded and moved his index finger which was in the wrong place. "Now point it at the can and shoot," Theo said making Liam swallow the lump in his throat and pointed the gun at the can.

He closed his eyes and shot the gun. Yeah you heard right. He closed his eyes. Theo rolled his own, as well as the rest of his body, and thought to himself.

How did I wind up trying to survive an apocalypse with this dumbass? Please, Theo would love an answer to his question.

"Did I get it?" Liam asked cracking one eye open to look but none of the cans were knocked over.

He then looked over towards Theo. The other teen was glaring at him with an eyebrow raised.

"Your eyes were closed." The chimera said not knowing if he was questioning the beta or himself at this point.

The statement only made Liam groan letting his arms fall to his sides. He then turned toward the house leaning on the white picket fence in front of him. His elbows rested on the fence while his hands went to his face covering it.

"Don't start pouting. Try again. And don't close your eyes. You're a werewolf who can heal you shouldn't be afraid of a gun unless it has wolfsbane in it. Which this one doesn't if you needed to know." Theo said making Liam turn and set himself up to do it again.

He took a deep breath and aimed. He shot the gun five more times before giving up once again. Not one of the cans that were set up had been hit by a bullet.

"I can't do this! I'm gonna shoot myself or you before I could even hit the thing!" Liam said he was about to punch the white picket fence into oblivion when Theo grabbing his shoulders. Liam turned to the chimera looking up at him.

"Let me help. Try again but I'll tell you when to shoot okay?" Theo said as Liam stared into the crystal grey eyes that the chimera had.

"Okay," Liam muttered clearly frustrated with himself.

Theo turned the teen back toward the cans that were set up for him to shoot. The beta took a deep breathe once again.