Chapter 20

You watched the sweet reunion between Jack and Abigail and you couldn't help but watch with a bitter sweet smile on your face. It brought you back memories of when you would spend time with your own family when you were little. Abigail thanked you, Arthur and Dutch for bringing back her beloved son. Dutch walked off with Hosea to tell Hosea everything that he learned about Bronte. So now it was just you, Arthur and John. Arthur had lit a cigarette and put it between his lips. "Arthur, (Y/n), thank you I..." John paused, stumbling on his words. "I don't know how to say it... Thank you."

"I understand." Arthur replied as he puffed out a breath of smoke. "Come on."  Arthur said as he walked further into camp. "Do as Dutch says. Go be with your family." He said softly. And John did just that. He went off to Jack and Abigail happily and you and Arthur just stood there. Though you were lost in your own thoughts. Arthur looked to you and thought about what John said to him for a moment before quickly brushing it off. "Alright there (Y/n)?" Arthur's voice snapped you out of your thoughts.

"Huh? Oh, yeah I'm fine. It's just... Seeing them as one happy family just brings back memories..." Your voice trailed off to become softer. Though before Arthur you continued. "I know I said it before but. Your a good man, Arthur. Especially with you helping John get his son back."

"Ah im sure everyone else would have done it too. Well... Besides Micha." He replied. You let out a chuckle and nudged his arm with your elbow.

"Come on. Let's go celebrate Jack's return." You said with a smile. Arthur gladly joined you by the fire and sat next to you. He grabbed the two of you a drink. Everyone gathered and Javier began to sing as celebration. No one knew the lyrics besides one part of the song. Everyone raised their hands up at the part including you, causing Arthur to laugh out. "Ay, ay, ay, ay!" Everyone exclaimed as Javier actually sang the lyrics. Everyone once again joined in. Some people slurring the next words and trying to pronounce it. A few drinks in and you leaned into Arthur's side. He had finally joined in on the last 'Ay, ay, ay'. His hand happened to be in the other side of you but his arm wasn't actually around your body in anyway. A few conversations and stories went around as Jack was finally to have his own space after the sing Javier sung.

"So what do you think about the ball thing Dutch was talking about?" Arthur asked you as the two of you were oddly close to each other.

"Well I think it will definitely be something different. I've... Never been to a fancy gathering before so it should be interesting." You replied truthfully.

"Neither have I. And Dutch and I have been though a lot of odd situations." He chuckles. You do the same and enjoy the comfort of being around Arthur at this moment. Though it hurt to know that Arthur may never even love you back. So, to get yourself out of this conversation with Arthur, you let out a fake yawn.

"I'm gonna head to bed. Goodnight, Arthur." You said softly before disappearing into the house. And although there were a lot of people in the gang, you had to share a room with Arthur. It was a little cramped but cozy at the same time. You took your boots and coat off and laid down. You stared at the ceiling. Soon getting lost in your own thoughts. You sat up and wrote in your journal.

"It's... Been interesting in the past few weeks I suppose. Though I can't help but become more and more conflicted. Arthur is... Well he's a man who's hard to read and is full of secrets regardless of how long I've known him for. The girls keep telling me just to go for it but... He helped Mary not to long ago and despite the things he told Mary I'm... Not convinced that he's over her. But... Like I said. The man is hard to read. But this isn't the only thing I had been thinking of. Ever since I saw the sweet reunion of Jack being returned to Abigail made my heart ache. Not only did it remind me of the wonderful times I've had with my family when I was just a little girl, it made me... Envious, of Abigail. I want to have a family like her and John some day but... I find that hard to achieve. Especially with being in the gang in all. Honestly... Abigail is so strong for managing a family while in a gang that woman never fails to impress me and IM the one who rides with the men. But I guess we won't know the future until it happens.
         ~(y/n)(L/n)"