Chapter 31

Dutch's words were becoming more and more empty by the moment and you couldn't help but begin to dislike Dutch more and more. Especially with the mission you, Arthur, Charles and Dutch went on to try and help Eagle Flies. And even then, that wasn't all that smooth even though it was the most simple mission, Dutch managed to crash the boat. And after that, Dutch brushed off Arthur and decided to help Eagle Flies. The two rushed off and Charles turned to you and Arthur to talk to Rains Fall about all of this. Once all that was done you and Arthur headed back to camp to try and get some much needed rest. "I can't believe that man... He's getting worse and worse and becoming more manipulative." You expressed your feelings as you and Arthur sat in your shared tent. Arthur gave a nod and coughed out. You noticed how he seemed to look a bit worse.

"Yeah... He's becoming more stubborn too." He agreed.

"...That night I first spoke to him alone in Lakay... He... He was talking about everyone being a piece of his game. Like we was his pawns for chess. Thinking about it now with the worse state that he's in makes me sick to my stomach... Leaves a bitter taste in my mouth." You muttered out.

"So that's how he thinks of this... Huh? Like we're apart of this game he wants to win?"

"Afraid so, Arthur..." You replied. "I was... I was terrified of my life becoming this way before I officially joined your gang... It's making me worry about if the next day I'll be dead or not. Shot in the head or something..."

"I ain't gonna let that happen. I've told you so many times now and each time I say it... I mean it."

"We don't know how much time you got, Arthur. You could be gone tonight or in a few days..." You replied quickly. He fell silent and you closed your eyes. "I... I'm sorry I just..."

"Now, now... It's alright..." He whispered as he embraced you. You hugged him back. "I understand... You got a lot to worry about." He stroked your hair in a comforting way and you tightened your embrace on him.

"I'm worried sick that I might loose you one day..." You whimpered as you tried to hold back your tears.

"I know..." He whispered as he rested his chin on your head.

"I love you, Arthur." You were squeezing him now as you buried your head in his chest.

"I love you too... Now, let's get some rest, okay?" He asked you as he pulled away. You nodded as he placed a hand on your cheek and wiped away the single tear that ran down your cheek. "We got a lot to do tomorrow."

~~~

"Ah, there they are... Old black lung Morgan and his bitch." Micah mocked. You shot him a glare.

"Watch your fuckin tone." You hissed.

"Was you followed?" He brushed your statement off.

"Excuse me?" Arthur growled.

"Was. You. Followed?" Micah said again but slower and louder.

"Do you know who your talking to?" Bellowed Arthur.

"I ain't sure." Micah stood up suddenly and attempted to get in Arthur's face but you stood between them and had a scowl on your face. "I ain't sure about much no more. All I know is that there's law whenever you're around."

"Oh, is that so?" Arthur asked lowly. "Because it seems to me, since you been riding with us, there ain't been nothing but trouble. Stirring things up all the time, getting in Dutch's ear. Seems wherever you is, there's Pinkertons, and vice versa." It then clicked in your mind on who the rat was. Though you kept silent and decided to hold it until you and Arthur were alone again. "So you better watch your god damn mouth, boy!" He tried to continue but began coughing up. Micah laughed darkly and you quickly rubbed his back.