Chapter 40

[Sorry ahead of time for all the jump skips. The epilogue itself in the game has a lot as well and there's also some stuff I wanted to skip that I didn't feel would he that important to the reader.]

"Working hard?" John bellowed as he saw Uncle just laying in the shack not doing anything. The man startled awake and blinked at John.

"I-its the Lumbago. If I overdo it, I get a relapse. It's very serious!" Uncle exclaimed.

"Get up. Or get out. Don't make me get Arthur." John threatened.

"You call my name?" Arthur teased from outside the shack. Uncle eventually got up.

"You can be so testy." He brushed himself off. "Oh, I forgot to tell you. I went into town... Oh, I got... I got a little drunk. Oh shit! Well, we gotta go. We gotta go to Saint Denis!" He finally remembered as he stubbled out of the shack. You and Arthur turned to Uncle. "Charles! Charles Smith is alive, I reckon." John followed out behind Uncle.

"Charles Smith alive... Really?" Arthur asked. You knew him and Charles have been close. Especially towards the end.

"I-i reckon. Unless I dreamed it all and by the sound of it not doing too good, neither." Uncle replied.

"I hope your right about this..." John muttered.

"Well... It's certainly worth looking into. Arthur you stay here and look out over the ranch. We should be back before you know it." You commanded and kisses his cheek.

"Alright. Let me know how he's doing. If he's alive and all like Uncle says he is." He replied. You gave him a small nod and mounted up before heading out to Saint Denis.

~~~

John let out a sigh. "Back in Saint Denis. I never liked this place." He grumbled. You let out a chuckle.

"I don't think no one did. Especially after the whole Bronte thing at the time." You replied.

"Alright... Let's go find that big sour bastard..." Uncle grumbled as you and John followed him.

"Sure. Let's all split up." John suggested.

"Good idea. I'll take the saloons, you take the slums."

"Now how about I take the saloons and you take the slums?"

"I'll check the fence. See if they know anything." You piped up and began to make your way there. John heading the same way since the Fence and Saloon were close by. Though the two of you soon split up and you did end up finding something about Charles. You and John met up and you lead him to the place you were told he was at. You had to go towards a rundown part of town and through some ally ways but ended up finding Uncle and then a crowd around the corner. The three of you turned the corner and saw Charles and some man. The man gave him a sort of pep talk about being a killer and to win the fight. Though he soon left.

"He don't know the half of it." John spoke up to surprise Charles.

"No he don't." You added. The large and buff man turned to look at the two of you.

"John? (Y/n)? You're... You're..." A smile began to creep his features and he gave John a hand shake and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"We're alive... So are you." John replied. Charles let go of John and gave you a hug. "So is he." John nodded his head towards Uncle who went to bargain with some people. Charles looked over and spotted the old man.

"That's Uncle?" He questioned with shock.

"What are you doing?"

"I don't know... I'm alive."