Chapter III

Chapter Three:

The Assassins

December 22, 2022

9:00am

Today ten days after the beginning of the War of Twelve, the people of the new world celebrate the tenth year anniversary of the war. As a usual tradition, the Federation Head always give a speech of tribute for those who died, at the Red Square in Moscow in front of millions of people watching at their TV sets and of here live.

        And as accustomed, like we always do for the last six years, since I became an official assassin, we tried to kill who ever the person that give the speech. And we Underground assassins always succeed in doing so.

        Now, I, Amy Hudson, sixteen years old will make my 1,678th kill by assassinating President Novirljevik, the 8th Head of the Federation.

        “Angel, you hear me?” June said. I can see his position 200 meters 13 degree West across the parking lot against the crowds.

        “Yes, I hear you loud and clear, June.” I touched my transmitter in the ear, trying to make the signal better.

Angel. That was my codename. I’ve got it when I was twelve. Angel of Death. I pretty like it. Henry gave it to me. He believed that I looked like an angel. With long black wavy glistening hair, eyes cerulean blue like the sky, 5’8 tall, and my ability to control my equilibrium on air, he said, gave me wings to fly, wings to kill. He said I’m gorgeous and fierce. Haha. I don’t blame him for over complimenting on me but I am truly is an angel with eyes set to kill you for hell.

        “Fox, what’s your status?” June asked on the second line.

Fox. That was Jane Milford’s codename. She is at the same age of me. And as you can see, she is also an assassin. Her kills are 1, 215. We’re teammates and good comrades but rivals as well at the Underground. Her codename suits her well.  We represent our codenames. If I’m the angel, she’s the fox of the team. She certainly looks like a fox. Short legs, with somewhat erect triangular ear like cats has, and she’s more like the red fox, not only because of her bright-red tangerine short-hair but also because of her ability can adapt to diverse climates and habitats, which become very useful to our mission.Most of the ten species of the genus to which the red fox belongs can adapt to diverse climates and habitats. That’s what I read on the Wikipedia.

        “I’m on my position. Angel, how about you?” Jane replied.

        “Almost.” I said. “Ooops. Okay. I’m here. Phoenix and Leo? We need your status.” I look up at the balcony of the Federation’s Palace. It was the Saint Basil’s Cathedral before. And now it looked like a giant modern house filled with bulletproof glasses and serve as home of the Federations members.

        “On position, Angel.” Leo said breaking my thought.

Leo was the codename of George. George Fardeen. The Lion. King of the Jungle. Or as I put it, King of the Underground. He’s our senior assassin. He’s the one who really trained us for these kinds of missions. I really like his blond-golden hair. His eyes are idyllic-yellow. The eyes of a lion. As I said, we represent our names. He’s six-foot-four tall. He really looks like a model and you might consider him as an athlete because of his perfectly robust and brawny body. He looks like Henry though he’s Australian and Henry’s American. He has live almost 20 years of his 27 years of existence as an assassin. And believe it or not his kills are 191, 117.

        “Phoenix, how about you?” June asked through the transmitter.

        “All set.” Phoenix said.