Chapter VIII

Chapter Eight:

Welcome and Unwelcome

It was for his sake. I couldn’t risk saying the Underground to him, now that we made a very different friendship. He couldn’t know that I’m an assassin, that I kill people.

So I decided. No goodbyes.

I arrived at the Underground enthusiastically. I breathe in and out feeling the intoxicating smell of blood from the Inner Circle of the trainees fighting, the arid smell of the chemicals from the Laboratory, the sound of the people who’s working hard to bring the Federation down, the faces of revenge, hatred and pain.

        “Ohh, I miss this place!” I said lost in the ecstasy of being home at last.

         Everyone I walked through seems anxious to see me, Mr. Thompson also seemed like he wants to give me a hug when I came out of nowhere in front of the gates. Perhaps they thought I was dead.

        Then in a second, I saw Jake running swiftly in my direction. I smiled at him. I was about to say hi when he suddenly gave me a hug, a hug so tight that made me catch my breath.

        “You’re alive!” he cried out. I can hear him sniffing like he was about to cry.

        Behind him I saw Jane, June, George and off course, Henry. They were all beaming with smile.

        Everyone around me appear to be happy, too. The trainees at the Inner Circle even came to see me. And some people at the Laboratory gave me a warm welcome too.

        Jake was still lost in his hug when Jane snapped at him. “Alright Jake, that’s enough. You’re killing her with that hug already.”

        Jane winked at me. Jake finally lose his grip and stared at me sheepishly, his face red.

        Everyone around me laughed. “What?” Jake said to them with an awkward look, “I was just happy to see her!” he said like he needed to explain.

        Then Jane came forward to me. She gave me a soft hug. “So glad you’re alive.” She whispered in my ear.

        I looked at George, June, and Henry who was having fun watching me, grinning at us.

        “What happened to you?” George said opening up his arms.

         I smiled. “A long story. And I might as well need a teddy bear hug?” I said as I move unto his embrace.

        “Oh you need to narrate me that,” Henry said as he walks toward me. “Did you know how worried I was?” he raised his eyebrows.

        “Sorry.” I gleam a smile and cuddle myself to his arms. “There was a storm and I’m stuck—” I started explaining but he cut me off.

        “Save the story later in my office. You must be tired. Come.” He said.

        June smiled at me as we walked. He gave me a hug, too.

As I entered Henry’s office, a loud thud . I became locked into someone’s embrace. It was unfamiliar, I don’t recognize the person who hugged me. I look at Henry and gave him a what-the-hell-is-this-look.

        “It’s fine. Just go with it.” He mouthed.

        I didn’t recognize the person at all, at first, but as I look at that long curly, brown cinnamon hair, those charcoal gray eyes that was once haunted with fear, I realized who she was. It was Elizabeth Winlock.