Chapter II

Chapter Two:

The New World

        After one year, the War of Twelve had finally ended. Millions of people all over the world died. Some are soldiers, but many are civilians.

        The Federation took over the world. Taking away the independence, freedom and the government of countries. They even changed the name of every country. Now each country is referred as a Zone.

Zones that are controlled by a member of the Federation. And right now, almost three years after, I stood here in Zone 10.

The Zone 10—also known as the Philippines before. Its location is at Southeast Asia, in the western Pacific Ocean. According to Henry, Southeast Asia has the safest zones. The Federation didn’t really care to these countries. Well, I suppose that is true.

 The Zone 10 population had decreased from almost 100, 000, 000 to over 10,000,000. It was 10,252, 820 to be exact. The Filipino land was now occupied by mostly Americans, Japanese, Koreans and other people from neighboring Zones.

Biodiversity has been promoted. Cultures and traditions have been mixed. Religions have been diversified. The Federation had putted a lot of effort on making the world modernized. Everything has really changed. And thus, making this new world.

After three years and a half of being comatose as Henry said, I have been finally discharged in the hospital.

        I’ve been with him for almost six months. He was the governor of Isabela. Luckily, those Russians didn’t change the provinces names. He was one of the richest people in the world and the Russian needed his money. Their greediness is truly sickening. They gave him this offer to at least govern in exchange for his wealth.

For the sake of survival, Henry was forced to accept. And since his familiar with the Philippines and Isabela because of their mission here before, he chose this place. He was the only survivor of the Johansson house and as a promise to my mother he took care after me. It took time but eventually I learned to trust him.

        Everything was going alright for me as a growing up ten years old until one day I realize the choice of my destiny.

        Henry and I were having dinner, when a call suddenly interrupted us.

        “Sorry, Amy. I got to take this one. It’s really important.” He said that night living me alone on his huge but dull dining room.

        “It’s fine. Take your time, Henry.” I grumbled while taking bites on my meal.

        Then he left and went to the kitchen. I continued eating paying him no attention.

 After I was finished, I decided to talk to Henry about my new school that he mentioned to me earlier that morning. I went in the kitchen to check if he was already finished with the call.

        I found out his still outside near the kitchen’s door still talking. I decided I would just wait for him until his finished. And all I heard surprised me.

        “Tell George that he must be ready. I don’t want mistakes. The plan must go the way it was planned to be.” Henry said with the voice of authority. I didn’t mean to eavesdrop but I just heard it all.

        “He’s very much ready, sir. He’s in very good condition. His set to kill.” The voice in the phone said. To kill? Who? Henry hiring a killer? He’s a bad guy? Thoughts suddenly clouded up my mind. I felt my heart throb and got myself paying more attention to their conversation.