Chapter VII

Chapter Seven:

Someone Like Me

December 24, 2022—it’s finally Christmas Eve, one of the occasions that I hate the most. Why?   Because it reminds me of my parents. I usually don’t celebrate it.

        But with the storm outside that’s keeping me stuck at this house with this stupid guy, this year might be an exception.

        The first thing I did when I woke up is to check the windows, hoping that the storm’s gone but I don’t know, maybe I’m just the unluckiest person in the world. All my wishes don’t just come true.

        It’s still raining hard and lightning and thunder still lingers everywhere.

        I went downstairs and find out that the stupid guy is busy preparing breakfast. And guess what, we have pancakes in the morning. This stupid guy just loves cakes. Haha.

         “Ohh you’re awake,” He finally becomes aware of my presence and smiles at me. “Good morning.” He added.

        I didn’t say a word and just stood there near the staircase.

        “Merry Christmas, by the way.” He speaks again.

        I am really not in the mood to talk right now. I just nod.

        “Umm…” he began again. “Are you really that silent all the time?”

        “And are you really that talkative all the time?” finally I said back.

        He laughs a little. “No. Not really. I just want to make you comfortable with me.”

        “Ohhh.” I say. “Don’t worry I’m cool with you.” I muttered.

        “Okay.” He says and gets back at cooking the pancakes.

        After a moment of silence as I watch him cook, we finally eat breakfast. Then after that he gave me a tooth brush, in which he said is a reserve one so it’s genuine new, and clothes of her mother, which is quite fitted for me and everything that I’ll need while I’m staying there.

        The day went by with him talking a lot about Christmas, traditions of the Zone 10 people, cooking and other stuff that I don’t really remember because I’m not really paying attention to him. He also let me played some of his Virtual Games that June and Jake usually play like the V-Game World at War and The Assassin’s Lullaby. And somehow I found out that I’m really good at playing those kinds of things.

        Now it’s already dark and he is preparing for the Noche Buena, a midnight feast for Christmas. He said that it’s one of the countless traditions here at Zone 10. And I really don’t get him because he’s not even a Filipino, he’s a despicable Russian.

        I sigh at the thought and stared at him again while cooking. I don’t know but it’s kinda entertaining for me to watch him cook. But he’s a good cook.

        “Getting bored?” he asks. I shook my head.

        “Are you hungry?”

        Again I shook my head. We just ate an hour ago.

        “Want to read books?”

        This Cake guy is really stubborn! Urgh.

        “No.” I said. “But thanks anyway.”

        “Do you want to play V-Game again?”

        Urgh. He’s so! “No. I’m really really fine.” I say pretty irritated.