Chapter One

The Occasionally Invisible Cat

by KC

Chapter One

Caroline Cat was all excited - she would be getting a new owner! Her former owner had forced her to live outside on the porch, even in the worst of weather. Her new owner lived in another ground floor apartment in the same building, and seemed to be the type of human that would let her inside. She promised herself that she would be well behaved with her new owner. She just had to avoid her tendency to turn invisible when she got anxious.

You’d think that being able to turn invisible would be anything but a problem. The thing was, when she turned invisible, she didn’t turn visible again for around 12 hours. (She’d never been able to figure out just what caused her to become visible again.) And also, while she was invisible, she was actually visible to other invisible creatures, and some of them weren’t very nice.

But right now, Caroline Cat’s concern was pleasing her new owner. Other humans called her new owner “Janet”, so Caroline decided she would call her that too, rather than “her new owner” or “her new human.”

So Caroline sat on the porch, patiently waiting for Janet to eventually open the front door. Waiting was something cats do well, sinking into a pleasant half-sleep daydream, until some physical movement stirs their attention, and then they immediately become alert. She was daydreaming about trying to jump in the air to catch a butterfly, when she heard the sound of Janet’s front door opening. Tho immediately wide awake, Caroline pretended to just slowly awaken, blinking her eyes in Janet’s direction.

“Oh Caroline, did I wake you up?” said Janet in an affectionate voice.

Caroline slowly stood up and walked over to Janet, rubbing against her legs and purring. Janet stooped down to pet her. Then Caroline slowly walked towards the open front door, looking back at Janet, to see what her reaction would be.

To her delight, Janet said, “Oh, do you want to come inside and explore? Go ahead. I’m sure you’ll find lots of places where you can relax, in the future.

So Caroline calmly walked thru the front door.