Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Compared to the bright outdoors, it was dark inside. But since cats can see in almost total darkness, it was actually still quite bright to Caroline.

For a moment, she just stood there, taking in her surroundings. Then she spied a high bookshelf next to a couch. She could tell there was lots of room on top of the bookshelf, and it would be easy to get there from the back of the couch. So with a leap onto the couch, and another to the top of the bookshelf, she was perched with a splendid view of the entire room.

Janet walked over, smiling. Their eyes were at the same level, and looking into Janet’s eyes almost made Caroline forget that Janet was human.

“It looks like you’ve found the perfect spot to see what’s going on. From now on, I’ll consider the top of the bookshelf to be yours.”

Caroline was very pleased with Janet. She seemed like a wonderful human, especially compared to her former owner, who had raised her from kittenhood, and had seemed to lose interest in her, once she had grown into a cat. Then she had no longer been allowed inside, and seemed to have been fed only out of a sense of duty. Even so, it had been a rude shock, when her former owner had moved, and left her behind.

But Janet apparently liked Caroline as a full-grown cat, and Caroline looked forward to being with Janet in the future, as well as exploring where she lived.